AdviceCrafts

Using Mod Podge on Styrofoam

This is my first time using modge podge. I painted the mod podge onto my Stryofoam ball and sprinkled glitter on it. The whole color of the ball changed. Does the mod podge dry clear and the color that I had sprayed on the ball come thru? Any help would be appreciated as the craft store sells, but never teaches. Thank you.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

It has always dried clear when I have used it, but I have always used it on paper or wood not on stryofoam. After it dries, update and let us know??

Anonymous

So far the color has not come back. According to someone else,because the styrofoam is so pouris only the color of the glitter will remain.

I believe the problem may be that your first coat(s) of paint did not seal the Styrofoam properly so the coating was not sufficient to seal the color in.

Here is a suggestion on sealing Styrofoam with paint. Maybe try something like this before putting your Mod Podge and glitter coatings.

Styrofoam safe paints: You will have a hard time using a brush given the rough surface. You might need to use a cloth or something similar to work the paint into all the holes. Let it dry and repeat the process. It will get easier each time as it gets smoother. Water and Acrylic paints apparently work just fine here.