Creating a Leather Look Vase
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
September 2, 2019
Read More Comments
Dabbing shoe polish onto ripped up pieces of tape on a surface can make it look like cork or leather. I turned this plain glass vase into a weathered vintage looking one using this method. I think it's pretty eye-catching!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1 vase
- masking tape
- brown shoe polish
- rag or paper towels
- razor blade
- Mod Podge or white glue and water
- Take a long piece of tape or two and wrap it around the base edge of the vase completely.
- Rip up several pieces of tape so they have jagged edges.
- Starting from the bottom, work your way up the vase, overlapping the tape pieces so there are no gaps. I stopped a little before the halfway point.
- Now wrap a piece of tape at the top portion so it's nice and straight. This will be your cut-off point.
- Working in circular motions, dab on the shoe polish with a rag or paper towel. Get a couple coats on so it is nice and saturated.
- Very gently peel off the top strip of masking tape.
- Now, right above the defined line, carefully slice off the excess unpolished portion of masking tape with your razor blade. Peel those bits off.
- Brush Mod Podge on to tape and allow to dry completely. This will lock in the colours and the tape. You can make your own Mod Podge by using 3 parts white glue and 1 part water.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
July 28, 2006
Take an interestingly shaped vase or bottle and make sure it is cleaned out really well inside and out with soap and water. Dry it thoroughly. Then take a roll of regular masking tape start tearing it into small little pieces all the same size.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.