DecorationsHome Decor

Masking Tape and Shoe Polish Vase

Dabbing shoe polish onto ripped up pieces of tape on a surface can make it look like cork or leather. I turned this plain glass vase into a weathered vintage looking one using this method. I think it's pretty eye-catching!

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1 vase

1. Take a long piece of tape or two and wrap it around the base edge of the vase completely.
  2. Rip up several pieces of tape so they have jagged edges.
  3. Starting from the bottom, work your way up the vase, overlapping the tape pieces so there are no gaps. I stopped a little before the halfway point.
  4. Now wrap a piece of tape at the top portion so it's nice and straight. This will be your cut-off point.
  5. Working in circular motions, dab on the shoe polish with a rag or paper towel. Get a couple coats on so it is nice and saturated.
  6. Very gently peel off the top strip of masking tape.
  7. Now, right above the defined line, carefully slice off the excess unpolished portion of masking tape with your razor blade. Peel those bits off.
  8. Brush Mod Podge on to tape and allow to dry completely. This will lock in the colours and the tape. You can make your own Mod Podge by using 3 parts white glue and 1 part water.

This is a great craft and works really well with little kids. I did it with a class of gr 2s. They covered fancy shaped bottles for father's day. Another year we covered frozen juice cans for pencil holders for fathers day.

I just read your directions. We did not cover the tape with Modpog, just left it as is. It wears just fine without. The bottle my son, now 34, made when he was 7, and gifted to his great grandfather, is still fine. It has faded a bit over the years. You can quite nicely skip the final step.

Lovely! I'm glad you're familiar and the one you've got in your family is still good after all these years:)

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsSeptember 2, 2019
🎂
🌻
🎃