Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I'm growing an oriental lily in water only and it's been a great success! However I've noticed some green algae inside my vase. How do I get rid of it without killing my bulb?
Probably the main reason your vase and rocks has algae growing is due the amount of light landing on the vase/water. Your bulbs may need indirect light but your water/rocks do not. An opaque or colored vase would be better but if not available then I would suggest that after you have cleaned your vase and rocks try to find something that your vase will fit in that will cover the vase to the top of the water line. If nothing else, you can cover this with folded aluminum foil so only the plant above the water line is getting indirect light.
Here is a link that is for lucky bamboo but everything stated will work for bulbs planted in water and also shows the best SAFE way to clean algae from vase and rocks.
Remove the plant and rocks, sanitize the container with bleach, rinse clean, was the rocks with dishwashing detergent, rinse thoroughly, soak rocks in bleach/water solution for an hour, use old toothbrush to clean each rock, replace in container, wash roots of plant with dishwashing detergent and a diluted bleach/water solution, rinse thoroughly, arrange in container.
A diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide will also kill algae.