Preventing Algae in Pet Water Bowls

Keeping your pet's water fresh and their bowl clean is your first defense against algae growth. This guide is about preventing algae in pet water bowls.

Dogs, cats, and birds need a lot of water everyday. One of the worst things you can do for your pets health is to keep topping up the water in its bowl.

The bowl of water needs to be completely poured out and rinsed out and filled with fresh water every day OR every time you fill it up or pour new water into it. I do mine at least three times a day, because we have rather large dogs.

I have three different huge pots of water laying around in different places. They are cooking pots since I prefer metal bowls to plastic ones which can harbor germs that will get into tiny microscopic holes in the plastic.

The bowls needs to be washed out at least every other day, completely, with warm soap and water, rinsed and refilled.

You can recycle the leftover water into plants or out in the garden.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

How do I keep my dog's outside water bowl from turning green? It is a plastic bowl, used for years, and the water turns green during the summer, not the winter. What can I do?

By Deborah Schmidt

Answers

Best Answer

During the hot summer months, I would clean the bowl every day and give the dog fresh water. To make it easy, just take a pail of fresh water and a cloth with you when you go out to feed the dog. Keep the dog food dish clean too. I'm sure the dog would notice and appreciate it.