social

Can Green Algae in Water Bowl Make Dog Sick?

Can Green Algae in Water Bowl Make Dog Sick? - dog lying on the floorI know my dog has been drinking water out his water bowl with green algae. I noticed he hides away and seems sick when he drinks this water. Does anybody know if this is from drinking the water for certain?

Advertisement


Thanks.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
August 2, 20190 found this helpful

Yes, it can make him sick. Clean out food and water dishes daily

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 451 Feedbacks
August 2, 20190 found this helpful

I was also going to say, I have a bird fountain, and algae begins to grow in that it seems like every week, so I'm constantly scrubbing and spraying that out to keep that algae ick from even attaching, because I know I'd not want to drink it, (that's my rule of thumb) if it's not good enough for me, it's sure not for them either, even if it's for the outside birds.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 451 Feedbacks
August 2, 20191 found this helpful

Yes it sure could be.

Different algae can release different micro organisms as it grows. Some are toxic to humans and can be fatal to animals, just depends on the "type of algae". Or, it can make animals sick, just like it can make a person sick if they were to drink icky algae water.

Advertisement

I don't know if you keep his water bowl outside or not, but outside, an algae called blue-green algae can be totally toxic just from ONE drink.

But just as much as it can grow in a bowl "outside" if your dog just happened to be anywhere the algae spores are, in the grass, (anywhere actually), then he could bring them back to his bowl on his fur on his face, and when he gets a drink (unknowingly) then all it takes is the introduction to water for the algae spores to take off growing.

Sometimes they're so microscopic you can't even see it. A person only sees the algae spore growths when something gets overgrown with it, like a bowl.

The truth is, your pet needs clean water every day just like me or you would too.

Their bodies aren't too much different from ours, as far as how the "insides work".

Reply Was this helpful? 1

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
August 2, 20190 found this helpful

Blue/green algae is not only dangerous for dogs, too much can kill them.

I suggest asking the vet to check him over to make sure he has no issues that are serious after drinking tainted water.

Advertisement

I agree with Suz1230, if I won't drink it, I won't let any other creature drink it. It is a good rule of thumb.

If it is a plastic bowl, I suggest tossing it and starting over with a metal bowl that can withstand boiling water being used to clean at least daily or any time if it starts to look slimy or having things floating in it.

Post back with an update. Prayers for healing for your pup.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
August 2, 20190 found this helpful

Many vets recommend ceramic (or metal) bowls because these can be easily cleaned.
Do not just add fresh water; remove the bowl, scrub it thoroughly and add fresh water.

Advertisement


I use one of those green/blue scrubbers from Dollar Tree and this removes all the slimy stuff that is the beginning of algae.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 3, 20192 found this helpful

Just clean the damn bowl!

Reply Was this helpful? 2
September 5, 20200 found this helpful

Well I clean my dog's bowl everyday when i give her fresh water so it's not everyone who you think is gross and disgusting. So anyways smh. Everyday after I take her for her evening walk we clean the ball give her fresh so if somebody else has information instead of just rude comments

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 226 Feedbacks
August 5, 20190 found this helpful

Yes it can make them very sick. Stainless steel bowls are best for resisting algae growth. You can get them at discount stores for a dollar or two.

Advertisement

Buy a couple so you can put a used one in the dishwasher and put a fresh one out for your dog. Fill with fresh water daily.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 29, 20201 found this helpful

I came across this page because I was looking for solutions for the green algae that appears daily in my dogs bowls although though I clean with warm. soapy water and rinse very well and refill with fresh water. I'm just posting this because I'm disturbed at the people's answers that actually have pets I know nothing about taking care of pets apparently. If you work 11 or 12 hours you need to sacrifice 30 minutes that it would take to clean out their bowls properly oh, you should never ever ever use bleach products for yourself much less your dogs or cats, and lastly you should never leave your animals alone for 4 days who does that you shouldn't even have them.

Advertisement

That's all I'm commenting on those are the ones that stood out significantly. You made the decision to have them take care of them like you would take care of your kids, or maybe not :-(

Reply Was this helpful? 1

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Next >︎
Categories
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 2, 2019
Pages
More
🌻
Gardening
👔
Father's Day Ideas!
🐛
Pest Control
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-05-09 16:12:49 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Can-Green-Algae-in-Water-Bowl-Make-Dog-Sick.html