Using Mod Podge on Glass

Category Decoupage
Mod Podge is an easy to use product for your decoupage projects. This is a guide about using Mod Podge on glass.

Beads that are glued to a glass should be sealed with an acrylic product, such as a matte medium to keep them in place. This is a guide about gluing beads onto a wine glass.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I want to place holiday stickers on glass ornaments. I am using the glossy so is there a way to use modge podge and not be filmy? Also can you use modge podge over matte paint on plastic or glass?

Answers

Best Answer

You can mod podge goes on white but dries clear.So you can use on any surface.

Best Answer

Yes. Seal it down with two or three coats first then do the whole ornament

I'm trying to dye a glass vase with mod podge, but it keeps beating up and not sticking to the glass. Do you know why?

It's not just streaking, it's not sticking at all, as if it's water proof glass.

I am trying to put fabric onto the back of glass plates using mod podge but when it dries I get streaks across the glass. How do I stop this streaking? Thank you.

By Bev Henricks from Belleville, Ontario

Answers

I have done this a few times and have never had a problem with streaks on the glass. I just went and looked at the one hanging in my daughter's room(I helped her make it as a project for a disabled people's 4-H group that she belonged to at one time.) What we did was we put the mod podge on the plate and then sprinkled some glitter onto the modpodge, then we applied the fabric. The fabric that we used was a black background with different prints of Elvis on it. She won a ribbon on it at the local level and it went on to the State Fair, where it also won a ribbon.

Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on winning the ribbon. My neighbour and I have tried for 3 months now and we still get spotty glass from the modpodge when the light hits it.

Obviously we are doing something wrong. Maybe using the wrong modpodge?

You can try applying it with a sponge (& pouncing in on). Also it helps to REALLY press down hard on the fabric with your fingers or a roller to remove the streaks. Then when it's half-way dried, do it again (press down on it). On the areas where there is no fabric, you'll have to carefully wipe off ALL the mod-podge.

* It helps to first clean off the additional wet mod-podge with a paper towel then use a little rubbing alcohol to clean off any additional mod-podge. If you miss a spot, once the mod-podge has dried, use fingernail polish remover to remove the dried on mod-podge.

Thank you for the feedback. I will try pouncing with the sponge.

If I ever get it to work they would make lovely Christmas presents. I will keep trying until I do get it right.

I should add that I always use a piece of fabric large enough to cover the entire plate. I have never seen any that didn't cover the entire plate.

I have also had this problem and have realized that how important it is to carefully clean the plate first. I use alcohol and a lint free cloth, let it dry well, pick the plate up and look again to see if it is completely clean and dry - then I apply the Mod Podge. And what the other woman said about pressing down is very, very important!
Hope this has helped.

Thank you all very much for your tips. I will try cleaning the glass with alcohol first.

I am trying to use mod podge to glue material fall leaves onto a Mason jar. I have cleaned the jar with alcohol and done everything I know and cannot get them to stick.

I am very frustrated. What am I doing wrong?

When using Mod Podge to glue glitter on the stem of a glass I used the paper type. Will that be OK or should I scrap it and go out and buy the dishwasher safe kind?

Answers

There is a dishwasher safe Modge Podge. :https://www.goo  ent=safari#pli=0

I Mod Podged fabric on a glass plate using the dishwasher safe Mod Podge formula and the back of the plate is rough to the touch. What can I use to seal it or make it smooth without sanding it? Any ideas? Thanks!

Answers

I would look for some sort of solvent or mineral spirits that would buff that outside layer.

Can you file or sand it down?

If I used Modge Podge to apply a label to glass, would it dry clear? And would you be able to tell where the Modge Podge was applied? Thank you.

By Gayle

Can I use Modge podge to glue paper on the outside of a mason jar? The jar is not smooth. It has the Ball name on the side.

Answers

Anonymous

I am trying to use Modge Podge on Ball jars and glue fabric leaves from the Dollar Tree. Doesn't seem to work. Have I just wasted $8?

I'm having the same problem. Any suggestions?

Okay, I have never used Mod Podge, but I constantly see the name when searching crafts. My question is, can it be used to transfer a saying onto a glass, such as a wine glass from Wall-Mart? If so, how? I'm trying to make personalized glasses for my wedding in October and would very much like to use a specific font, but due to the shape of the glass I cannot properly trace it with a Sharpie. Any and all help is appreciated, thank-you!

By Stephanie S. from Des Moines, IA

Answers

Try Google for all kinds of help & ideas.

Mod Podge is essentially Elmer's school glue in a jar. What it's used for is to seal pictures onto items. I don't think it would work for your purpose. It would make a sticky mess. What I would suggest, is find a custom sticker maker and see if they can do stickers in your font. Vinyl or something else. Or you could etch the glasses. Make a good sturdy stencil, and etch each one.

I have used Mod Podge on glass to put an image on the back of it. No matter how hard I press I see some tiny bubbles and it's milky when dry. I'm trying to make pendants with domes, but if this Mod Podge is going to be milky looking then the stuff is not good for what I"m doing. Any suggestions?

By janice88

Answers

Sounds like your Mod Podge may be old. A better alternative would be the puzzle glue that you can put on puzzles once you put them together and want to hang them. You might even be able to find recipes for making your own podge recipe online if you google or maybe at Carol Duval's website since she is the absolute "queen" of all crafts. You might also try using a rubber spatula to squeeze out the bubbles, always start on the top and squeeze downward.

GuyB may be right about your Modge Podge being too old for use based on the milky look after it's dry. However it's important to remember 2 things with Modge Podge:

1) AVOID causing any bubbles! This includes handling the Modge Podge bottle carefully and slowly to avoid air bubbles which can cause the bubbly look after it's dry.

2) The second thing to remember is which brush is the RIGHT brush. For most Modge Podge projects they recommend a foam brush (rather than those sponges or squeegee ones that create air bubbles). Foam brush are those black foam (duh) brushes that don't look like tradition paint brushes at all. When I first did Modge Podge, I used a squeegee roller paint brush and it actually gave it the bubbly look to the roller. :(

My advice to you is to try again with dipping the Foam brush gently/smoothly in the Modge Podge and making sure the Modge Podge has plenty of time to dry between coats. If it's still giving you trouble, check the expiration date or call the company.

Good luck, K.

I am trying to attach a stained glass decal to my glass window. It will not stick because the window has a texture to it. Can I use mod podge on the window first to get it to stick?

Answers

I would think that would work well.

Can I use Mod Podge to stick fabric to my glass top table?

By Maureen

Answers

They're making a Mod Podge specifically for glass these days.

I mixed Mod Podge with food coloring and coated the inside of a wine bottle. I let it drain upside down then set it right side up and placed it in a 170 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hrs. It became a beautiful clear blue color, but later developed a bit of cloudiness. Why?

By Joanne E

When using the spray to seal the glitter on the glass, it doesn't dry clear. It makes the glass look frosted. How do I keep the glass from looking like that?

By Julie