Dye from Denim Coming Off on Skin

How do I stop black dye in denim material from getting all over me and anything else I wear? The jacket has some leather on it and rhinestones. Please help, I am covered in black dye.

By Kathryn from Bakersfield, CA

Most washable clothing items advise you to wash them before wearing. I have even noticed some sheet sets have the same thing on their labels.

The only thing that may help is to put a cup of vinegar (any kind) into the rinse water after you wash the denim. Vinegar tends to "set" the indigo dye. But you may have to wash these jeans 20 or more times before they'll stop fading onto your skin & clothes. But try the vinegar, it should help. If you don't want to smell like a wet salad, instead use cheap lemon juice from the dollar store, it will also work, but you may need to use a bit more.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMarch 1, 2010
custom bleached denim with an intricate design
Bleaching Denim
The back pocket of blue jeans.
Softening Stiff Denim
Denim Wallet
Making a Denim Wallet
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink