House PlantsGardening

Natural Solution for Indoor Fungus on Flowerpots

Does any knowledgeable person out there have a remedy for killing white fluffy-type fungus that grows on soil surfaces of indoor flowerpots? I have 6 large plastic flowerpots in the living room. Every year when the weather turns chilly and then cold, a white fluffy-type fungus starts growing on top of the soil, but not on the plants. I went to a store here and they sold me Furadan, but an internet check results show that Furadan is a very toxic insecticide and nematode poison. I would really rather not use that inside the house. Thanks a lot.

Carlos from Mexico

Try spraying a mild solution of house hold bleach and water. I did this to my cucumber plants to get rid of fungus and it worked.

You may be over watering the plants, or have too much humidity in your home. Also, since you said they are in plastic pots, they do not allow air to circulate around the roots of the plants, try repoting with fresh potting mix,and use clay or composite pots, this will allow the plats roots to :breath:Plants do need air circulation around them

Plain old Lysol spray takes care of this problem and is even safe to use on african violets

Whenever I see some mold fungus on top of the soil in houseplants, I just take a knife or small indoor plant shovel and remove it. It usually removes easily. Then I mix up the soil in the container so it's aeriated a bit. Usuallly the problem doesn't return.