Wildlife: Vulture

I was standing at my rear door when I saw this turkey vulture swoop in, alighting himself on a branch. I grabbed my camera, attached the telephoto lens and stepped outside, taking as many as I could before he flew away. Normally I only see them flying, so this was a rare photo treat.

By Leigh

Oh! Wow. What a beautiful photo of this magnificent creature. I saw a vulture once when we put out the leftovers of a turkey for the neighborhood cats to eat on, and a huge vulture and an owl and some other kind of raptor landed on the tree near the turkey and eyed it to try to figure out what it was. I wish I had had my camera!

You realize there must be something nearly dead, or decaying when you see a vulture nearby. Maybe a dead rat or squirrel, etc. depending on where you live.

Photos WildlifeJuly 30, 2010
Squirrel eating a flower.
Protecting Bulbs from Wildlife
Raccoon looking for goodies in a waste bin
Protecting Wildlife from Your Garbage
A chaffinch sitting on a rock by a garden pond.
Keeping Ponds Safe for Fish and Wildlife
Pond Fish
Protecting Pond Fish From Wildlife