Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Stains from Pots and Pans

How do you clean stains off the bottoms of your pans? Mine have brown stains from years of cooking and of course, from others in the house trying to cook. Thanks for any information.

Yankgirl from Florida

By

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Danielle (Guest Post)02/15/2009

If you don't want to have to buy something put ketchup on the bottom and let it sit till it gets hard. Scrub off, then wash. :D

By Joyce Robertson [9]10/09/2008

Zud - the best! I bought garage sale pots that were badly abused with oil etc. cooked on. A little elbow grease and Zud got them looking very nice. I use Zud daily to keep my Belkraft and Cordon Bleu cookware like new. Do not use an abrasive scrubber that will scratch. I just use old socks or my homemade scrubbers crocheted out of netting. (also posted on Thrifty Fun) I also use Zud to clean my corelle cooktop so I know it is gentle on stainless steel cookware. Also, scrub with the grain of the cookware - that would most likely be in a circular pattern.

By Tomatohanger (Guest Post)10/06/2008

I've found that Barkeepers isn't very effective for seriously old stains. I'm a retired carpenter and inherited a Revere-Wear coffee pot from my Mom. She kept hers spotless, of course. Me? Not so much. When I decided to clean it up I used steel wool, available in any good hardware store -- generally in three grades.

Start with coarse and then polish the stainless steel surface with medium and fine. That procedure worked on the copper-clad bottom too. The main ingredient involved is "elbow grease"!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Stains from Pots and Pans

To get any kind of stains off of pans use bar keepers friend it will take away all the goo that gets on there from cooking. It works great for cleaning tubs and toilet also. You can get it at Walmart for $1.67 for a fairly good size can.

By Jennifer Brown

RE: Removing Stains from Pots and Pans

You find bar keepers friend on the cleaning aisle section in walmart - bottom shelf for us. It's a tall gold bottle like comet and ajax come in. (06/04/2005)

By jan

RE: Removing Stains from Pots and Pans

It's by the windex, toilet bowl cleaning products. Also a lot of Grocery Stores carry it now. I've seen it at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's the best cleaner you'll ever use. I swear by it! It cleans fiberglass, glass, tile, copper bottoms, stainless steel, brass beautifully. Give it a go. I know you'll love it! Practically odorless too! Jennifer J. CA (06/07/2005)

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.