Windshield Wipers Don't Work

I have a 1994 Nissan 200SX. My wipers aren't working. If I try to turn them on, I can hear like a "whoosh, whoosh" sound, but the wipers don't move. Is there a cable from the motor to the wipers themselves that might have broken? Thank you.

By Barb from Walla Walla, WA

You need to look at the mechanism under the hood, not just the windshield wiper motor but the way the motor attaches to the arms. It could be the support bars that turn the wipers have disconnected. This happened to me on a car I used to own. It required a new plastic piece, kind of like a grommet that supported one bar into another. With them being disconected the one bar didn't move the other so the wipers were stationary.

Another thing you can do is go to a parts store like Advanced Auto, Auto Zone or Pepboys and either ask one of the parts/ counter people there or take a moment to see if they have a Haynes manual for your car that is no longer shrink wrapped. Just take a moment and look up the wiper assembly and see if it helps you under stand what is wrong and how to fix it.

I highly recommend you buy a Haynes manual for your vehicle. It provides alot of good information. Sometimes you can get used manuals in good shape off of Amazon. You can also try half.com. The cheapest place I have found for a new manual is online at a site called autobarn.com with postage you save a couple bucks over buying the manual in the store.

When I had this happen to me my mechanic told me to try this one simple thing first, hit the motor gently with a brick or hammer. That did the trick. Saved me a costly repair that I didn't need. Can't hurt to try it.

I have 96 Nissan 200SX, same thing happened to me. I had new grommet installed about a year ago, but now I think it is the whole linkage assembly (which is a dealer only part). My father and I tried to replace the grommet ourselves, but it is very hard to get to the one on the driver's side. It worked for about a week. My quote at my garage was about $150, labor included. Now I just have to come up with the money before our rainy fall gets here.

Good luck!