Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice

During the winter it can be a real chore to get all the snow and ice off your windshield before heading out in the morning. Keeping the snow and ice off your windshield in the first place makes getting on the road that much easier. This is a page about keeping your windshield free of snow and ice.

18 Solutions

Winter in Alaska where we live can be so harsh! No matter where you live, though, scraping ice off of your car in the early morning is just no one's idea of fun. This is the BEST WAY to keep your windshield frost free.

Wipe the windows and windshield of your vehicle down with white vinegar, undiluted, after you park your car for the night. This will prevent frost from building on your car, and who doesn't LOVE that?

By Brianna Southworth from Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Use an old set of car floor mats to cover your car's windshield in the evening and you won't have any ice to scrape in the morning. Carpet remnants also work.

With winter bringing snow, sleet and freezing rain, if you have to park outside in the weather, here is a tip that will save lots of time and frustration. When you are ready to park your car for the night, take a few minutes to take a couple pieces of cardboard and slip them under your windshield wipers so that they are held securely and cover your windshield.

You will be so happy in the morning to just slide them off the windshield and have clear vision with no scraping and defrosting. You may even have time for a second cup of coffee before you head out the door for work.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

There is an easy and cheap way to make sure you don't end up with iced over windows every morning on your car. Vinegar! Just fill a spray bottle 3/4 of the way with vinegar and the rest with room temp water.

When the temperature is going to go down below freezing, spray a 3 to 1 solution of water and vinegar on your vehicle's windows. It keeps them ice proof.

Take a pair of old socks and keep over your wipers. Then if it snows or rains the ice won't get stuck on them.

Living in a very cold climate I found this to be a very useful tool for winter days. Purchase a gallon jug of the re-fill windshield washer fluid and fill a small spray bottle with the liquid.

Here is a tip for anyone that lives in a snowy area. Sometimes we get so much snow that besides having to dig out the car to get it on the street, our cars look like they are wearing big white hats.

How does it work when spraying vinegar and water on car windows to prevent icing?

By Marion

Answers

Best Answer

I have heard that often. I would try not to get it on the paint though. Vinegar seems to oxidize or ruin a paint job but it is an excellent window cleaner. I am a great big fan of vinegar!

The recipe is three parts of vinegar to one part of water. It is necessary to dilute the vinegar lest it harms your windshield wipers or the rubber around the windows. Spray the car whenever you park it outside.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Even better is a solution of Alcohol (50%) and water. I had the vinegar solution in my car because the inside windows would freeze, unfortunately, my vinegar and water solution did too after a few days.

Answer this Question

Were do you store the vinegar? Can you keep the vinegar spray bottle in the car? Does it freeze? I park on the street and have a 1 year old, and MPLS gets very cold. I am hoping you say it doesn't freeze so I can keep it in my car! :-)

By Jamie

Answers

Best Answer

Vinegar will freeze at 28 degrees.

Answer this Question

Regarding keeping the ice off of windshields and car windows, how often do you have to put vinegar on the windows and windshield? Thank you for your time.

By Kathy F from Hazelwood, MO

Answers

Best Answer

I use this vinegar idea with good success. In the winter, I keep a spray bottle filled with white vinegar and spray my windshield each evening. Hope this helps.

Answer this Question

I found a great use for those old flannel lined plastic tablecloths (although and unlined one or used shower curtain would probably work). I live in the Northeast and we have had a lot of snow recently. I have been following some snow-shields for the car's windshield on Ebay (because I could not find any in the stores at all) and they have been really expensive.

I had several old, faded, plastic tablecloths that I had not thrown out (because I figured there must be a use for them). You just put it across your windshield, covering wiper blades so they don't freeze. Open one front door and put it inside the car, and then stretch it and do the same on the other side.

This has saved so much time trying to get the snow and ice off the windshields you wouldn't believe and the best part is it is FREE. I just shake off snow, fold the tablecloth and leave it in the car - replacing it on the windshield when I get home.

By Betty

Load More
Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingNovember 6, 2011
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Your-Windshield-Free-of-Snow-and-Ice-1.html