Homemade Windshield De-Icer

Category Miscellaneous
Keep your car's windshield ice free and resistant to water by using one of these handy de-icers. This guide contains recipes for homemade windshield de-icer.

You don't need to buy expensive window treatment solutions to repel rain, nor do you have to spend your whole morning trying to scrape ice off your car windows before you go to work. All you need is a spray bottle, rubbing alcohol, and water. Save time and money!

For icy mornings, mix 1/3 part water and 2/3 part rubbing alcohol together in a spray bottle. Spray onto your icy windshields and watch the ice disappear.

For a water repelling solution so you can see more clearly while you drive, add equal parts water and rubbing alcohol together in a bottle and spray on a very clean and dry windshield. Use a dry rag to wipe the windshield until it is completely dry.

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade windshield de-icer? I am tired of scraping my windows just about every day. Thank you in advance!

JZ from Illinois

Answers

By Winston (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I once used Vinegar and it worked pretty well.

Best Answer

1-2-1 De-Icer
1 part rubbing alcohol
2 parts warm water
1 tsp dish soap

Spray on widows before you go to bed at night or you can do it when you get up to melt it away.

Best Answer

Fill ones empty windshield washer fluid reservoir tank with a quart bottle of 90% concentration isopropyl alcohol and then top off the rest of the windshield washer fluid(any walmart has 90% isopropyl alcohol) reservoir tank with regular water; usually ones windshield washer fluid reservoir tank is about a gallon or so; so that means one is shooting for about a 25% solution or 4parts to 1 concentration of isopropyl alcohol to water ratio.

I'm wanting a recipe for a de-icer, like you use on your windshields, in the wintertime. I just hate having to scrape the ice off.

Thanks for any help.

Terri from NV

Answers:

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

I have been told to use rubbing alcohol. (12/08/2005)

By Pattie Hartley

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

My friends use an old beach towel over the windshield and hold it in place with the windshield washers. Just peel off in the morning! (12/08/2005)

By ANNE

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

Just DON'T use hot water! Your window will explode! (12/10/2005)

By

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

I learned this from another school bus driver a few years ago: Cover the windshield with an old bed sheet when snow or ice is in the forecast. Hold sheet in place by pinching it in door on each side. In the morning just peel the sheet off the windshield. (12/11/2005)

By Susanne

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

"Just DONT use hot water! Your window will explode!"

Seriously? My family has done this for generations now and we never have had a problem... (12/14/2005)

By Angela

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

I recently bought some de-icer when we were having a sleet storm. When I got home and viewed the contents...it was alcohol with red dye in it to make it look more "appealing". Alcohol in a spray bottle will do the trick, just may take a few applications. But always use precaution and don't douse as to get any into the engine. Remember, it is flammable! Great to de-ice door locks! (01/01/2006)

By kc

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

You can mix just a drop or 2 of liquid dish soap with water and add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to it. I use 70% rubbing alcohol in mine but the 50% will work too. You can also add the rubbing alcohol to Windex or windshield washer fluid and get the same effect.
Happy New Year!
Laurie (01/01/2006)

By Laurie

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

In the wintertime if temps get below 10F or so, my washer lines in my wipers sometimes freeze. My lines run from under the hood, up the wiper arm to the center of the wiper. Sometimes I buy the "low temp" washer fluid, sometimes I add about 1/2 cup antifreeze to the washer reservoir. However, you must add the antifreeze BEFORE cold weather sets in. Once your wiper lines are frozen, you have to thaw them with a hair dryer or wait for warm weather. Then wash your windows to get the antifreeze into the exterior lines.

It works great and doesn't harm the paint.
(01/24/2006)

By Chuck R.

Homemade De-Icer Recipe

I used Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol (70%) with a little bit of Windex. It works. I'm not too sure how much better it works then buying de-icer or how much cheaper it is. For best results start your car and crank your windshield defrosters and spray the entire windshield with it. Work your way from top to bottom. Let your car idle for 5-10 mins and you should be all set. (01/16/2007)

By josh

using hot water

Just make sure the water is NOT boiling water, just lukewarm or slightly hotter then lukewarm. (02/28/2008)

By jim