Using Vinegar on Car Windows to Prevent Ice

How does it work when spraying vinegar and water on car windows to prevent icing?

By Marion

Best Answer

I have heard that often. I would try not to get it on the paint though. Vinegar seems to oxidize or ruin a paint job but it is an excellent window cleaner. I am a great big fan of vinegar!

The recipe is three parts of vinegar to one part of water. It is necessary to dilute the vinegar lest it harms your windshield wipers or the rubber around the windows. Spray the car whenever you park it outside.

Blessings, Robyn

Best Answer

Even better is a solution of Alcohol (50%) and water. I had the vinegar solution in my car because the inside windows would freeze, unfortunately, my vinegar and water solution did too after a few days.

Anonymous

All you have to do is wipe or lightly spray the windows with distilled vinegar before leaving the car for long periods of time. I am not sure why it works but most likely because of the acetic acid.