Opening a Frozen Car Door

It is cold out and you are in a rush to begin your day. It is not the time to find the car door frozen shut. This is a guide about opening a frozen car door.

The sliding doors on my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan keep freezing shut in the winter. How do I prevent this?

Christie from Durango, CO

Answers

Best Answer

I was advised to wipe the rubber surrounding the door with silicone. It is sold as a liquid at the drug store.(not the type in a tube for plumbing etc.)

Best Answer

Every winter before temps drop to freezing, I spray the tracks and all around the inside of the doors where they seal with WD40. Works like a charm. No more frozen shut doors. You need to respray upon occasion to keep them from freezing. After having frozen shut doors several times one winter, grr. someone mentioned WD40 and out of desperation, plus I had a can on hand. I tried it. I have now been using it for several years. By the way, it doesn't hurt your paint either:-)

How do I unfreeze my doors to get them open?

Answers

Do you have an electrical extension cord and hairdryer?

Anonymous

heat the key with a lighter.

I pound all around the perimeter of the door to "break" the ice. It usually works. The best thing to do is prevent this freezing if you can before a storm, by spraying the edge of the door and the frame all the way around with a silicone spray. The spray is available at auto supply stores. WD40 sprayed around the doors will also work, although I don't like the odor. Be sure to spray the trunk lid and frame, tailgate doors and frame, or hatchback lid and frame too. When I use the silicone spray, I never have a problem with frozen doors. It has to be reapplied after a while, as it dries up or evaporates.