Cleaning a Car Windshield

Category Auto
Keeping your vehicle's windshield free of road film or foreign substances will help improve your driving vision. This guide is about cleaning a car windshield.

If you take your car through a car wash and choose the wash and wax option, you may end up with wax residue on the windshield. This is a guide about cleaning wax buildup on a windshield.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If your car gets parked under a tree that is dripping sap, it may be difficult to get the sap removed from your windshield and paint. This is a guide about cleaning tree sap on a windshield.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you get that road grime off your windshield? I've tried Awsome, straight vinegar, and Windex. Are there any better suggestions?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answers

My father swears by Invisible Glass. I have a new (to me) car that is making me crazy, I swear that the windows on this thing are extra sticky because I can't get them to stay clean. I just picked up Invisible Glass and Rainex (RainX?) to treat the windshield with once I get it clean since that is supposed to repel road grime.

I spray the windshield with Greased Lightning. Scrub it with a damp terry cloth then rinse it off. It cuts the film off and makes the windshield crystal clear when it's raining. I do it whenever I know we will be driving in the rain.

Where do you get Invisible Glass?

It doesn't matter what brand, but believe it or not, cola (soda) cuts right through the grime. Of course you'll want to rinse it off after it does its job. Pour it at the top of the windshield so it will run down over the whole thing and turn on your wipers. Use a wet rag or sponge to get the places that the wipers don't reach, rinse all and your windshield will sparkle. I carry an unopened can in my car for those visual emergencies when traveling.

Try diluted ammonia.

O'Reilly Auto Parts has it. Spray, aerosol, and wipes 

Anonymous

Coke will work but they don't put enough acid in it now, they cut it back per guide lines I'm looking for another remedy to, advice use rainex on it after u get it down, a few coats

How do you get vegetable oil mixed with vinegar off a car windshield?

Julie from Kingsport, TN

Answers

Blot the area with either Boston or Bibb lettuce. After that step, wash with Windex or another household glass cleaner.

Seriously, maybe a bit of dawn first-- some grease cutter. At least you don't have to worry about being sloppy with the clean-up.

You could try the previous post or go to a big box store or a auto parts store and buy a bottle of water soluble degreaser.

What this sounds like, is old, oxidized salad oil, right? Find something like straight dawn foam dish soap. Put the car in the shade and keep it damp while the dawn works on it. You could add a little water to the dawn, but it needs to sit on it for awhile. If it's only on the glass part, you can even get some drain cleaner, just don't get it on the rubber seal. This will cut old grease. Oven cleaner, too.

I'd use baking soda on a rag.

Use any dishwashing soap and water, hot would work better. This is no different than washing a salad bowl.

How much alcohol can be used cleaning car windows?

Camille from Holly Hill, FL

Answers

I work at a truck & auto accessory place and they tint alot of windows and detail alot of vehicles. They told me to never use any alcohol based products on tinted windows because it will cause the tint to lighten and turn purple. They use a mild mixture of baby shampoo and water for all of their tinted and non tinted windows. If alcohol is necessary, I'd go to an auto supply store and buy a cleaner made just for car windows.

In a pinch, you can pour a can of Coca-Cola on the windshield and it will cut the dirt and grease right away. After you pour the Coke, just rinse with water.

never used it, but are you thinking of mixing it with water? If not, then you could probably just pour it on a cloth & go at it.? It does seem like it would work nicely! I'm going to try it!

I usually use white vinegar--about 1/2 & 1/2 or less with water. It cuts thru buildup & usually doesn't leave any streaks (I always dry with old newspapers which prevent streaks too).

I mix alcohol with store bought glass cleaner. I use about 1 part alcohol and 3 parts water but the mixture is what ever works best for you.

Unfortunately alcohol does leave streaks. I prefer to use Watered down ammonia in a spray bottle.

I used Rain-X on the outside of my car windshield and now I have a film over it. How or what is the best way to get the film off? I can't see anything because it's filmy and glossy looking now.

By Lynn

Answers

We had that same problem last year and I used Greased Lightning to scrub the windshield several times. It finally got better.

Dumb me, I used Rain-X again about a month ago and had the same problem. I have scrubbed and scrubbed with Greased Lightning again. It is better but still has a little film on it. Not too bad driving in the rain during the day but at night, it's a problem when meeting traffic. We got some new windshield wipers also and that helped a little.

I have heard that you can clean the film off with lemon juice and newspaper. I'm going to try that instead of Rain-X.

How does someone remove dried gasoline from a car windshield?

By Ashley from Kennewick, WA

Answers

Anonymous

Simply wash it off the way you would normally wash off dried on bugs or mud.

Deeli
Richland, WA

How do I get spray wax off a car windshield? It is the free car wash kind

By Jimmie

How do you remove road film from exterior car windshield?

By ML from Sunnyvale, CA