Cleaning Road Grime Off a Windshield

How do you get that road grime off your windshield? I've tried Awsome, straight vinegar, and Windex. Are there any better suggestions?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

My father swears by Invisible Glass. I have a new (to me) car that is making me crazy, I swear that the windows on this thing are extra sticky because I can't get them to stay clean. I just picked up Invisible Glass and Rainex (RainX?) to treat the windshield with once I get it clean since that is supposed to repel road grime.

I spray the windshield with Greased Lightning. Scrub it with a damp terry cloth then rinse it off. It cuts the film off and makes the windshield crystal clear when it's raining. I do it whenever I know we will be driving in the rain.

Where do you get Invisible Glass?

O'Reilly Auto Parts has it. Spray, aerosol, and wipes

It doesn't matter what brand, but believe it or not, cola (soda) cuts right through the grime. Of course you'll want to rinse it off after it does its job. Pour it at the top of the windshield so it will run down over the whole thing and turn on your wipers.

Use a wet rag or sponge to get the places that the wipers don't reach, rinse all and your windshield will sparkle. I carry an unopened can in my car for those visual emergencies when traveling.

Anonymous

Coke will work but they don't put enough acid in it now, they cut it back per guide lines I'm looking for another remedy to, advice use rainex on it after u get it down, a few coats

Try diluted ammonia.

Believe it or not, simplest way Ive found, while raining, is to buy a 20 oz bottle of coke, open, and put thumb over the opening. Shake, and spray windshield. Acid in the coke cleans it beyond belief.