Removing Stains and Marks from a Car's Exterior

Your car's exterior is subject to stains, spills, scuffs, and unfortunately sometimes vandalism. This is a guide about removing stains and marks from a car's exterior.

This is a guide about removing house paint on a car. When removing any type of paint from your car's exterior you need to use care not to damage the vehicle's finish.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

If your bike tire has rubbed against the exterior of your vehicle, it may leave black marks on the paint. Removing bike tire rubber marks on a car can be a tough chore but isopropyl alcohol is often good place to start.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Our cars spend time in the garage or driveway, both places where accidental spills or spraying while projecting can leave them with paint on their exterior. This is a guide about removing paint from a car or truck exterior.

This is a guide about removing nail polish off a car. Nail polish can be difficult to remove from a painted surface without damaging the finish.

This is a guide about removing black scuff marks on a car. Scuffs from another car's bumper or tire can leave black marks on you car.

There are some simple methods that should remove the scuffs.

This is a guide about removing paint ball paint from a car. The oily goo of a paint ball can be a challenge to clean from a car's finish.

My SUV was parked outside while we worked on our house. Apparently, some kids thought it would be cute to throw berries on it. The weather was around 100 degrees outside and it was probably several days before we noticed. Does anyone have any idea how to get these off? I have tried soap and water and Goof Off. They are not budging. They are on the paint as well as the windows.

By rhonda from CO

Answers

I use a product called Meguiar's (spelling may be off) Quick Detailer. It's great stuff, works on bird droppings, berries, all that stuff. You can get it in any store that sells car care products. I keep it in the trunk with a roll of paper towels.

If you can't afford the product mentioned above, put your trust in good old fashioned water, the universal solvent. It may take a little time and patience but has one great advantage it is free!

Peanut butter, I saw it on this site that was to clean off bird droppings, its cheap, everyone has it and its not toxic.

The Maguier's works somewhat, but floor wax remover is better. Water is almost totally ineffective with my berries. I've used Armstrong New Beginning floor wax remover for years, and it doesn't seem to have hurt the finish. It's a 13-year-old white Town Car. I used the Maguier's on the left half of my trunk and the floor wax remover on the right half.

It went quite a bit faster on the floor wax remover half. I haven't tried any other brands yet. I scrub them with a kitchen plastic mesh pad. The secret with either product is to keep the berries wet and don't try to get a berry stain off all at once. Scrub each a little and move on and keep coming back.

First I would try an IPA wipe down, which is rubbing alcohol. Pecentage of alcohol doesnt really matter. Use a quality microfiber.
However there's a lot of variables. If the berries are acidic, try vinegar. However if you leave anything acidic on your paint for too long the acid will etch your paint making it impossible to remove.
If that doesn't work you could try mineral spirits. Remember, always use the least aggressive method first. The clearcoat on your car is only as thick as a post it note.

Good luck!

If all else fails contact a professional detailer. He/she can wetsand and Polish out the imperfections.

I went to a local car wash (drive thru self serve kind at the gas station) today and got the "works'. The left side of my white car is now stained yellow. Any advice? Did the car wash do this?

Answers

Go back to the car wash and have THEM remove the stains if they weren't there before you had it washed.

Luckily, I went back the next morning and spoke with the manager. They took full responsibility! What a relief. I am to goo back before the end of the week to get a rinse and if that doesn't work, they'll send me to detail shop for buff.

Glad to know their are still some companies out there that have integrity!

I'm glad you got this resolved. In the future, take a picture of your car with your phone. The phone dates and times the photo. If you encounter someone uncooperative, you have solid proof of the condition your car was in prior to their working on it.

I have had that happen before...Its when the wax comes out unevenly....

Does anyone know how I get tea and coffee stains off the exterior of a car.
My car has been vandalized. I'm in the UK.
Thanks.

Answers

Try a paste of baking soda and water.

Sorry to hear that :( Vinegar and warm water should help. Rub it on with an old t-shirt. Should come right off.

Sorry to hear that! A Mr Clean magic eraser would work without scratching your surface. I don't know if you have them there though.
I would try a paste made with a little baking soda mixed with water. Rub it gently with a soft cloth. Then rinse with warm water.
Your next option is to gently rub it with a soft cloth moistened with white vinegar and then rinse with warm water

I have a rust colour all over the hood of my white car. Some tree droppings fell on my car. I don't even know what it was, except it was brownish red and round in shape. I went through the car wash thinking it would go away, but it didn't. What can I use to get rid of this?

Answers

I had the same exact problem today. $40 at the car wash wasted. I used turtle wax rubbing compound, turtle walk polishing compound, turtle wax super hard shell paste wax, in that order. I also bought two microfiber applicators and a three pack of microfiber cloths, and used one of each for each type of treatment (the paste wax comes with a foam applicator, so I only needed two). Cost less than $30 for everything. The rubbing compound is what took the leaf stains off, with only a medium amount of effort applied, and the other two products just made my finish look shiny and new.

***oops, all three were "turtle wax" products...auto-correct strikes again.

We tried acetone nail polish proffessional nail product to remove it. My husband had to still rub really hard to get it off. At least it came off. I thought it might take the car paint off but it didn't.

Thanks for your advice!

My 6 year old finished a personal bottle of water and peeled the plastic label off and unrolled it and stuck it to the exterior of my car. It was left there out in the baking sun for several days before I discovered it. I didn't think and ripped the plastic label off and that left some melted plastic and the label imprint on the car's paint. The car was really hot from hours of driving on the freeway so it melted the plastic label and it was a bit of a gooey mess and the text imprint seem to have fused onto the car paint. Anyone have a solution for removing it without harming the paint?

Answers

Try WD-40 or Goo-Gone

Cleaning label off car.

Step 1
I would try baking soda and water.

Step 2
Use a sponge so you don't scratch the paint.

Step 3
Keep scrubbing and then use olive oil to scrape of remaining gunk.

Does anyone here know how to remove a white stain from dent remover on the car? I removed the dent using dent remover and I put more than needed and forget to remove it after. When I try to clean it with water it keeps returning after the water gets dry. Please do help me. Thanks.

Answers

Try some Goo Gone. You can get it at your local hardware or Wal-Mart.

The sprinkler for the grass has left a stain on my car, probably iron. How can I safely remove the stain without harming the paint?

Answers

Try Coca Cola on a clean rag.

I have a black weatherstrip stain on the tailgate of a white SUV. I didn't pull the vehicle far enough into the garage and when I actuated the garage door, it hit the tailgate. Embarrassing. I've tried mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. No luck. Any ideas out there?

Dan