Removing Nail Polish Off a Car

Category Cars
Nail polish can be difficult to remove from a painted surface without damaging the finish. This is a guide about removing nail polish off a car.

My car was vandalized yesterday. Someone broke into the car next to mine, found a purse and decided to pour nail polish all over my car. I want to try and use nail polish removal but I am concerned about damaging the finish. Do I have any options? My car is only 2 months old and there is a ton of the nail polish on the doors and hood.

Michael

Answers

Best Answer

With my husbands car i just used nail polish remover on it. Someone had keyed it up horribley, so we needed to touch up the paint, of course he didnt want me to do it, so he did it himself and messed it up. So I had to go back and fix it, I just used nail polish remover right on the car, ( non-acetone) i even let it set on there for a minute, and there wasnt any damage to the finish.

Of course I would recomend testing it first in an inconspicious area ( like the edge of the tire opening, to see how your finish reacts before actually using it on the main part of the car. If it works then just use a Q-tip and go over the remover. :) I hope this helps!

Can anyone tell me how to remove the slightest dark red nail polish scuff mark off my car's exterior? My car is white and I'm worried that if I try to use a chemical to remove the nail polish that a worse mark will be left in its place. I can't believe my OPI nail polish scuffed right off my thumb nail onto the driver's side door near the handle. I need to get that nail polish off the car door, and pronto! Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

I asked my DH about this one and he said the first thing he would try would be WD40 on a soft rag. He said it takes off road tar, so maybe it would take off nail polish?

If that doesn't do it you might try some buffing compound that is specifically made for polishing cars. They sell that kind of stuff at auto parts stores or the big "W" store.

Best Answer

Try nail polish remover on some part of the paint that isn't visible -- like the inside of the door panel or inside on the trunk. I suspect that the nail polish remover will not harm the finish. I have had to use kerosene to remove road tar, and certainly gasoline spills do not damage the paint, so I suspect nail polish remover might not as well.