Ford Ranger Heater Not Working

Category Cars
If your truck's heater is not working, your defroster usually doesn't work either. This guide is about Ford ranger heater not working.

My 2007 Ford Ranger 4wheel drive V-6 only blowes cold air.

Answers

It could be any of the following:
Coolant Level
Thermostat stuck open
Heater Control Valve
Temperature blend door
Plugged heater core

It could also be a stripped knob.

I always check the antifreeze or coolant level... That is normally my problem. Once the coolant was low due to a leak in my radiator. The first symptom was the cold air blowing out the heater.

I have a 2009 Ford Ranger 2.3 liter 4 cyl 5-speed manual and the temperature control stopped working. The A/C and defrost work fine, but blow only cold air. The vent and heat are lukewarm to lukecool at best.

There is no change when the knob is turned to max cold (blue) or max heat (red). Any thoughts on how to fix this problem?

Answers

I have a 1998 ford ranger that had the same problem. The truck ran cold and the heater was cold. It started blowing luke warm a while back then would only blow cold. After checking everything and finding no solution I removed the water pump and found the pump blades worn completely down. the water pump wasn't pumping enough water thru the heater core to provide heat. It also wasn't pumping water thru the thermostat to the heat sensors so I was getting a low temp reading on the gauge. I replaced the water pump and also put in a new thermostat and temp sensors and that solved my problem.

My heat is now good and warm and my engine temp reads a good steady temp. Logic would tell you that a faulty water pump would cause overheating problems but that wasn't the case on my truck. The water pump seals were good and the shaft bearings were good so there was no indication of a problem with the water pump. Over time I guess the coolant had eroded the pump blades down to nothing and I wasn't aware until I removed the pump. Good luck with your issue, I hope this helps.

I own a 2008 Ford Ranger and can't get any heat. I changed the thermostat and the control knob and still no heat.

By WF

My 2004 Ford Ranger heating doesn't work. The coil does not leak. I have opened and closes the damper door manually. I have opened and closed the bypass valve under the hood, at different times while opening and closing the damper door. It still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

By firedog658 from Cleveland, GA

Answers

Anonymous

I think this is a question for your mechanic?

My husband has to remove the hoses and flush them out as trash accumaltes in them. When he does and fills the radiator back up my heater works great again. Hope this helps.

I replaced the unit under the hood and the button on dash and the heater still does not work.

By Mike from Diamond Bar, CA

Answers

You do not provide the truck make, year, model, etc. so difficult to offer an answer. All brands are different with specific designs and parts. You can search online for the truck brand website and request help from customer service. Or, of course, try a mechanic experienced in repairing your truck type.

Anonymous

I have a 91 ford ranger an the heat works on and off but what I mean by that is one day it is blowing the next it is not any ideas ?

My truck heater will only blow cold air. Why?

By Martin S from Reno, NV

Answers

Bad Control Module, $5 - part; $100/hour for repair ande there is no guarantee that it will do it again. My solution: I have a 1998 Ford Ranger Truck that the Heater Module Switch went bad. A/C works fine but it doesn't do much good as a defroster. The 12 volt Defroster that are sold are about 12 Watts and don't do anything, don't waste your money.
What I did was buy a 400/800 Peak Watt Inverter (Harbor Freight), an extension cord and a 200 Watt Lashko Heater (War-Mart), total cost $60. Hook Inverter cables to battery posts, secure Inverter with zip ties away from engine heat, zip tie extension cord so it doesn't get caught in moving parts, run cord into cab is easiest and hook up Heater. I place the heater on the dash on a rubber mat so it doesn't slide (Velcro will work too) and turn on the heater and use the blower on low to distribute the heat. It dried up the moisture and defrosted my windshield just fine. My girl friend placed it on the floor boards and heated up the cab in no time. It was made to handle a office cubicle so a truck cab is no problem. There is no tip over switch on the heater so care must be used. It's only 200 Watts and the Inverter handled it with no problem. When I shut down, I shut off the Inverter so it doesn't drain my battery. Only problem it scrambles the AM radio signals but not FM, I can live with that when its freezing C-O-L-D. You get instant heat without having to wait for engine to warm up.

on heat in my 2009 ford ranger 4c

On a 1991 Ford Ranger 3.0 the heater blows out cold air works on all three speeds I did notice that the heater core 22 hoses going into it are both cold I flush the heater core out it is running good.

Please help, it's getting cold. The heater is not working in my 1999 Ford Ranger. The heater core is getting hot and air is coming through the vents. I can't locate the transfer door between the heater core and the evaporator core. Where is the actuator? Is it vacuum or electric?

By Mike from Millington, TN

Answers

I had a Ford van that did that, and I had to replace a heater regulator that is located behind the stereo.

Go to Auto Zone and they will pull up a print out for you and you will find it. The most likely cause is a vacuum door is not opening cause by a broken or loose vacuum hose, listen for a hissing sound and you will find it, it will be under the dash near the big black box (heater box).

My 1996 Ford Ranger heater will not blow hot air. Any suggestions?

By AR

Answers

Hubby says heater core is probably stopped up and heater needs to be replaced.

I would check the thermostat. You should always replace the thermostat when changing the coolant with a high temperature thermostat. Sometimes people have the coolant changed and replace the thermostat with a low temperature unit and that will blow cooler air. My car was blowing cooler air but the reason was my coolant was down little over a half a gallon.

I own a 2005 Ford ranger. How do I tell which is screwed up, the temp control switch or the blend door actuator?

Answers

Have you checked the fuses? Mine are on the firewall on the driver's side. Easy to access.

I have a '97 Ford Ranger truck. The blower works on high, but doesn't blow heat. The a/c works fine. I replaced the thermostat; that didn't work. Any ideas would be a help. Thank you.

By jason_warren_1975

Answers

It sounds like your heater core is clogged.. It's usually very expensive and time consuming to repair a clogged heater core. It usually involves taking your dashboard off on the passenger side to get to the core... I would recommend getting a flush kit from your auto parts store (I usually get two) and where the hoses go to the heater core in the engine compartment, hook the flush kit up to both hoses coming from the heater core and flush it in both directions.

I usually try to hook my hose up to hot water to help break any gunk loose. You might also try pouring some coolant flush in prior and let sit to break up any gunk before flushing.

I have only high speed on my Ford Ranger heater fan. How can I fix this?

By Serge

Answers

Hi, my car did the same thing. It is the heat resistor fan speed control switch. t is usually found near the firewall on the passenger side. The part can be bought at most any auto parts place, cost about $35.Google your vehicle/heat resistor fan speed control switch and you should be taken to a page showing you where it is located. Good luck, Kathy

I have a '98 Ford Ranger 4cyl with a temperature control problem. The temperature control knob does nothing with regard to changing the air temperature coming into the cab. I just put a new heater control valve in and it has vacuum to the valve. The blend door is changing to the selected outlet AC/floor/defrost, etc. I only get AC when in the max position, heat everywhere else. Any ideas?

By Frankieh from New Bern, NC

Answers

If you Google a phrase like "car repair forum", you might have a better time of finding people who can help you. That's where I got some good advice about a strange noise my car was making, and found out that it was the fuel pump failing.

I have a '98 Ford Ranger. I am having problems with the temperature control of the heater system. The heat is stuck on. I have heard and read of problems with the heat and a/c blend door. I don't think this is my problem because it seems like I had shorted out my trailer lights and then the heat control problem started. Is there a relay involved in this that could have burnt out? I have already replaced the blower motor resistor on a recommendation of an auto parts store employee.

By Rodger from Fruita, CO

Answers

EMAIL: sales AT diyrepairmanuals.com

good luck.

Load More