Dry Clothes Outside

I picked up two wooden dryer racks from yard sales. It is just as easy to hang most of your wash loads out on a porch, and couldn't we all use fresh air? Our power bill dropped substantially when the weather warmed enough to hang outside. I fold them straight from the wooden dryers. It's worth the effort!

By Pattie from Bridgton, Maine

The only problem I found with a wooden rack is that when the wood got wet from the clothes it stained my white Tshirts. (Same goes for wooden clothes pins)

I also hang my clothes off the clothes line in the winter - they still dry - They just need a little help from the drier to finish them off.

To stop the discoloration of whites, try wiping the bars of your rack with a bleach solution every week or two, and the whites will stay white. You can soak wooden clothespins in a bleach solution occasionally, and let dry spread out on a towel in the sun. Personally, I use plastic clothespins from the dollar store, and hang out year round in the western NY area.

Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyApril 30, 2007
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
A pair of dirty work boots.
Keeping Dirty Shoes and Boots Outside