Use Kids Cookbook to Teach Cooking and Independence

I have been having a hard time in the kitchen with my teenage son. After becoming exasperated with him once again, I was ready to give up teaching him to cook beyond a mix once and for all. But not quite. I decided to give him a little space.

I bought a children's recipe book at a thrift store to help my teenager learn to cook for himself. The recipes are simple. Concepts are covered thoroughly, and concisely. Although the book is aimed to preteens, with advice about getting a parent to handle hot items, it is perfect for it's intended purpose. Instead of being upset, or balking at being pushed he said, "I could totally do this".

By Poepadoe from APO, AP

I have always said, "If you can read...you can cook!" That goes for any age. I love going through cookbooks and getting recipes online as well. :)

There's a wonderful website called Start Cooking (http://www.startcooking.com). The instructions begin, I believe, with "how to cook a grilled cheese sandwich," and move from there. The instructor moves with precise, clean movements so that you can always tell what she's doing. Her directions are simple, enunciated well, and to the point -- not a lot of cuteness or other distractions, like they often do on Food TV. The techniques are very basic, but everything that the instructor offers goes step-by-step and you'll wind up with an edible dish. It's a valuable tool for those who learn haptically and kinesthetically (primarily by doing, rather than by seeing or hearing), but get impatient when taught by people they know, who are right there to watch them make mistakes.

I get all my children a Betty Crocker cookbook when they leave home. I think it shows how to boil water! Oh kghsave, I told my neighbor that idea about knowing how to read means you should be able to cook and she quickly set me straight that cooking was sooo much more than being able to read. She says it requires a GREAT deal of skill and learning. I think she just didn't want to be taken off her throne!

This is for Glenn's Mom. LOL. I agree; she didn't want off her throne! LOL

Teaching Your Children
Teaching Your Children
Parenting General Parenting The Family KitchenMay 6, 2009
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Homemade Recipe Book Holder
Making a Cookbook Holder
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Two kids making fruit kabobs.
Making a Cookbook for Kids
🎉
🎄