Ideas For Restraining Goats

I don't know how many of our readers are of the rural persuasion but I need some suggestions. I need to completely restrain African pygmy and Boer goats for hoof trimming and medication applications. Any suggestions that would work for both sizes of goats and be very inexpensive? I am unable to handle them alone just by tying them up. They have too much maneuvering room! Thanks to all.

Cheryl from Yellville, Arkansas

Take soft rope and tie their front legs together then overbalance them and tie their hind legs together with the front legs. Cover their heads with a blanket,t hey won't fight so much if they cant't see. Also if you have a gate that closes against a wall, back them in the corner and close the gate until they can't move and tie the gate to the wall.Hope this will help you.

My vet prescribed tranquilizers for one of my dogs just to cut his nails. He said to give him one 40 minutes before I bring him. (I think it's more for the vet :) The dog goes into trauma over getting his nails trimmed. He gets upset when I tell anyone about it because he doesn't want anyone to know he's a sissy about it, so don't tell him I said anything. I'm a little goofy tonite.

I can tell you. We have had goats off and on for years. You need a "milk stand" they are usually used for milking but also for hoof trimming and any other medical or cosmetic reasons. You can build your own stand. There are free plans on line. I don't know if you can make one that will work for both breeds. It is also much easier on your back! hope this helps. God bless you!

Pets Large AnimalsApril 24, 2008
Pigmy Goats
Play Ideas for Pigmy Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Two Little Girls in Nerds Box Costume Next to Wonka
Willy Wonka Costume Ideas
Canape with Egg and Vegetables
Easter Brunch Ideas
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 5:38:30 PM on 10.0.0.167 in 895 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.