Baking in a Small Oven

My oven is small and the largest diameter of baking pan or cookie sheet is 12 inches. What do I do when recipes call for 13X9 pan? I do use bundt cake pans, but some recipes need the 13X9 pan. Also where can a person find larger baking pans, in a 12 inch diameter? Help please.

By Sonja S. from Hemphill, TX

If you have 2 oven racks, you could use an 8x8 plus one loafpan. These 2 pans nest right inside a 9x13 so this is pretty close. Maybe you could check with a restaurant wholesaler about finding deeper 12 inch pans. I have one in my area that sells to the regular public. Tracey in Jacksonville FL

When I was a kid, the stove we had was an apartment size stove, it had four burners, but no flat surface in between them to set stuff. My mother always managed to use a 9x13 pan in that oven. She also used cookie sheets in it too. What we did was put the length of the pan from front to back. However, I am sure the length of the 9x13 pan would have fit in sideways too. Before the apartment sized stove, we had one that ran on kerosene, and the oven in that was real small, but being we were a family of six, my mother never made smaller than a 9x13 cake, and she never bothered with small size cookie sheets, she used the jelly roll pan. The only small pans she used were the bread pans and that was if she baked bread or meat loaf.

I have a glass baking pan made by Corning that is 8-1/2X11-1/2, and I use that for recipes that call for a 9X13 pan without any problems. You should be able to find glass bake-ware in this size at Wal-mart.

I also have a small oven. Actually mine is my toaster oven, but I never use my big oven in the summer. So I have had to adapt all my recipes to smaller pans. For something that calls for a 9x13 pan I simply cut it in half and put half in each of 2 8x8 pans. For us it works perfectly because since there are only 2 of us, I freeze the second one (either before or after cooking) to eat later. But when they say 9x13, as long as you have a pan that holds basically the same amount, and the depth is not too much different, you'll be ok.

For years I had a very small oven. I used two 8 inch pans in place of the 9 by 13. I either used two round 8 inch pans or two square 8 inch pans or times one of each. Also I sometimes used a casserole dish and just kept an eye on what I was baking. When it tested done I took it out and had a interesting shapped cake, meatloaf, or whatever I was making. As for the cookie sheets for the oven all I did was cover the oven rack with aluminum foil and use that as a cookie sheet. It worked everytime and I had no clean up afterwards.

This is a matter of volume:

To have something set an inch deep in a 13*9 area, you need something that has a volume of 117 in^3 (or 13*9*1)...or something real close A 12*10 has a volume of 120 in^3 (the baked item will be a tiny bit thinner than usual). A 12*8 has a volume of 108 in^3. (the baked item will be a tiny bit thicker than usual)

A Circular pan is pi*r^2*depth. A 12 inch pan would be pi*(12/2)^2*1 or 3.14*6*6*1 or a volume of 113.04 in^3. (the baked item will be a tiny bit thicker than usual)

In all honesty, most things calling for a specific pan size are a bit ridiculous. All it would possibly do is throw off the cooking time by less than 5 minutes, if the volume is fairly close. When it is as close as what I wrote out, the timed difference is negligible.

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJune 13, 2009
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
Chocolate chip cookies and milk.
Making Cookies in a Toaster Oven
🎉
🎄