Painted Terra Cotta Pots

contest winner icon

I have SO many terra cotta pots that have just accumulated over the years. So like all my other craft projects, I decided through trial and error to explore the possibilities.

All you need is:

• a terra cotta pot (or half a dozen if you get obsessed!)
  • some black enamel paint
  • a paint brush or foam brush (I used a foam brush)
  • rubber gloves (if you are concerned about your hands getting dirty. Me? not so much!),
  • decorating tools (stamps, white paint, small paint brush)

1. I had a large terra cotta pot. I painted it black. I gave it a few coats; 2-3 is ideal. I thought it would be perfect by my front door.
  2. I decided, what better way to display my house number. So I went to the computer chose a font I liked and typed out No. and my house number. I printed it out, cut it out and then used it to trace it out on the terra cotta pot. I am sure there are easier (much easier) methods, but this one worked for me and my resources. I traced out the No. and the numbers and then used both a small paint brush and a tooth pick for some of the smaller details. I used a white paint we had on hand. I put some mums in the pot and I think it gives a very polished much more expensive look. Seriously, who would have guessed those were once plain terra cotta pots?
  3. Ad

4. I have done some smaller ones as well. Same concept, paint the pot with black enamel or whatever color you want. I used some vintage French stamps I had, stamped them in the white paint and applied to the front of the newly painted terra cotta pot. Again, so simple and the end result is so unexpected!
  5. By Amy from Wheaton

I love it!! Novel and classic! Thank you so much for sharing! AND keep creating!

I have a few of those pots and wondered what I could do different with them. What a great idea!

Those are beautiful. Your front porch looks just like mine. I was noticing also the flower box on your window sill. Something I never would have thought of. Did you make it also? If so, can you give instructions for that? Thank you for sharing.

I cannot find the instructions for making the terrra cotta lighthouse with the smaller pots. I find the picture of the yard lighthouse but not how to put it together. Please help. thank you. kass @

The image on the flower pot looks like the Eiffel tower to me, not a light house! : )

Oh, how beautiful these are. Going to try this in the Spring.

Painting Pots White
Painting Terra Cotta Clay Pots
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersNovember 8, 2010
Broken terra cotta planter used to retain garden plant.
Reusing Terra Cotta Planters
Terra Cotta Pots
Cleaning Terra Cotta Pots
terra cotta flower pot person
Crafts Using Terra Cotta Flower Pots
Terra Cotta Pots
Saving Money on Terra Cotta Pots