Extra Expenses at the Beginning of School

I remember when my children were in school, there were always extra unexpected expenses in the first weeks of school.

• Student Body Card (For middle school and high school)
  • Ad
  • Sports (Extra fees for participating in sports, injury insurance, uniform fees, etc.)
  • Band (Instrument rentals, uniforms)
  • Studio or Drama fees (It cost my daughter an extra $75 to be in drama in high school)
  • Calculators
  • Club Dues (some school clubs require dues)
  • Lunch cards

These are just some things that come to mind. Be sure to budget not only for school clothes and supplies but also for extra school expenses. With the way our schools are financed these days there are many extra expenses for families.

If you can think of any others, post them here.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Our school district in Northeast Ohio requires a fee of $125 for Pay to Play. My son plays in the marching band and it has to be paid before the first game, or you sit out.

When my grandchildren lived with me I would provide "extras" for the teachers-- who fund A LOT of things from their own pocket!

Baby wipes-- doesn't matter what kind-- teacher used to clean desks of the kids to cut down on bacteria/virus that had been spread with coughing and sneezing.

When I bought a case of copy paper ( a great sale!) I would send a ream once in a while.

In the lower elementary grades the teacher provided a calendar of "happenings" each month-- including who would provide snacks for the kids. Here we can't use home baked items so I appreciated the forethought. So as I planned my menus, I could plan for snacks ahead-- and watch for sales.

I thought that calendar was a great idea-- I transferred those items of interest to my online calendar so I had reminders on the screen--

Keep in mind some schools, like ours, charge for locker fees or you must purchase a lock from the school, which can be used as long as the student is in school, and then they reduce the locker fee.

Between the PE locker and the regular hall locker it was $13.00.

EducationAugust 25, 2006
Wedding Expenses
Wedding Expenses: Who Should Pay?
High School Fundraiser Carwash
Fundraising Ideas for a School Trip
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 20, 2016 at 6:18:52 PM on in 998 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.