Food FixesFood Tips

Keeping Onions Crisp When Pickling Them

Will malt vinegar crisp up the onions I am trying to pickle or do I have to start over again? After brining them they have gone soft before putting them in vinegar.

By Wendy from UK

Most recipes tell you to cook the veggie in the brine, I put them in raw. I warm my veggies just enough so the brine stays hot enough to seal the jar, also soak your jars and lids in hot water. the trick is to have everything warm so your jars will pop. (seal) Alum is used to keep your veggies crisp.

When I pickle cucumbers, I soak them in a lime solution. Maybe that will work?