General AdviceConsumer Advice

Dealing with Rusty Water

I have rust in my water. It makes it hard to give kids a bath and laundry comes out looking dirty. Is there anything I can do to help save my family's clothes? We live in the city and the rusty water comes and goes.

Elizabeth from Baltimore, MD

A water softener would do the trick. It is probably old pipes. We had country water, and you can buy an additive for the laundry called rust out.

We had intermittant rusty water like yours. Unfortunately, it turned out to be coming from the water heater which needed to be replaced. You might try draining a bit of water from the heater to see if that helps.

Iron Out works the best and is available at most retail store this works really great.I used it even when we had a water softener to help keep our whites even whiter but trust me.. it won't hurt your colors either

we lived in the country for many years

use a little in your toilet,tub,shower,dishwasher..

Thanks for all the feedback! We recently replaced our water heater and got a new one and rust still persisted. The iron out worked on our clothes but I'm afraid to use it on the babys clothes.

Whenever the hydrants are flushed, we would get a little rust in the water. Have you contacted the city to check out their pipes? Maybe the problem is outside of your house. Do any of your neighbors have the same problem? I would call the city and see if they can help.

You could always use a bsic water filter before using the water? Fiddly, and costly, I know, but so is replacing clothes. I would complain to your council as it's probably their pipes.