AdviceFood Safety

Are Tomato Products Safe From Salmonella?

The US is having salmonella issues with tomatoes. My question is: If these tomatoes were used in processed foods like tomato paste or spaghetti sauce will the salmonella still live in the paste or sauce?

Kim

Kim, as long as the food product has been throughly cooked to the proper temperature it is fine. The high temperature kills the Salmonellosis Bacteria.

Reiterating Faith's feedback ... Yes, safe as long as cooked at correct temperatures ... You can still have fresh cherry tomatoes or any bought fresh on the vine without Salmonella worries so don't think you can't have raw tomatoes at all ...

Because I am not wanting to get sick,the salsa no matter what brand I buy, I open container and boil it, and let it cool. Then pour it into glass jar or other container and store in frig. Why take chances? Also I would caution all those people digging into salsa at restaurants. Until we are told where these tomatoes are coming from, better safe than sorry is my motto.