Using an Old Can of Baked Beans?

How long can you keep Grandman Brown's baked beans? I have a 54 oz. can that is at least 3 or 4 years old. The can looks to be in good shape. Are they okay to use?

Barbara

Answers

Best Answer

As long as the can is in good condition (no dents or punctures), canned food will last indefinitely.

Best Answer

Kind of a long read but worth it for the info and some history about canned foods ... It will back up Belzin's answer:

www.internet-grocer.net/how-long.htm

By Judith (Guest Post)
Best Answer

So long as the tin is in good condition the food inside should be good. I recently found some tins in the back of a cupboard that were my mother's, they were war rations. The food was in very good condition, and we ate them. Trust yourself, if the food looks OK and smells right go ahead and eat it.

Best Answer

I had email correspondance with someone at the Allen's canning company in AR. She said that as long as the can is not in bad condition, the contents would be safe to eat ....but maybe not taste as good. You could open the can, I'd take a smell of it first to be sure no off smell, taste some and if it tastes ok to you, go ahead and use.

Those dates printed on cans these days are to tell you when it is "best by"....meaning it will taste the best if used by that date.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceDecember 7, 2016
🍂
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf29637804.tip.html