How Can I Get Into Quilting Inexpensively?

I'm trying to get into quilting, but I'm finding it expensive. Are there cheap resources out there? It's difficult to be a guy in this hobby, but I'm pretty excited about it now that I've started. If you can help me find some cheap resources, please let me know. I would really like some patterns. If you have some that you are done with, it would be sweet of you to contact me through this site.

By Anthony from Farmington, MN

You can find many free patterns on the internet. Your public library will have numerous books with patterns and directions. Watch for fabrics on sale; or (as you learn) you can try cutting patches from old clothing or inexpensive clothing, linens, and remnants found at the thrift store. I have seen people use thrift store blankets instead of batting.

Anthony, welcome! Don't pass up the thrift shops. I am serious. Often you can find fabric that has never been used for a fraction of the cost. Also, you can remnants at Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby, as well as some Walmarts and some fabric stores. Also, if you like the idea of "repurposing" then you can't do better than looking for pretty clothes and curtains, etc.

Good luck and I hope this opens up a whole new world for you!

Anthony, I think it's great that you've become interested in quilting. One of the best places to find out all about it is the internet one of the best sources I know is the site. Go to that, select quilting, and you'll get more quilting information than you'll be able to use in a very long time! They have patterns, pictures, how-to techniques, and so on and on. Best of all, it's all free!

Also there are some great videos on You-tube, you can learn all kinds of techniques just by watching.

And, another great spot is the Quilting Paradise site. It's a quilting forum, they have all kinds of newsletters, etc., and they're all free and delivered to you by e-mail. Lots of times there are listings by members to give away scraps and other materials that they don't need or don't want; all you have to do in a lot of cases is pay the postage.

My final suggestion is to frequent thrift shops. You can get clothing items such as men's shirts, remove all buttons, etc., cut them up, and you'll have loads of fabrics for your quilts at very little cost. This should help you get started.

Good luck and enjoy!

Anthony, you can find loads of fabrics and clothing to cut up at rummage sales, flea markets, and garage sales, as well as thrift stores and remnants at regular retailers. Look for fabric by the yard, sheets, curtains, tablecloths, upholstery fabrics, dresses, skirts, shirts and blouses - items with large areas that can be cut. They might also have the other supplies you need, such as threads, needles, pins, measuring tools, scissors, cutting wheels, cutting boards, etc. The public library usually has many quilting books - spend an afternoon sitting at a table looking them over to see which ones you like best. After working with them, you might be able to buy your own copies cheap & used online through Amazon, or at a local used book store if there are any in your area. Quilting can be highly artistic, so don't be afraid to try your own designs once you get the hang of it. Good luck, and take photos of your work to share with us later!

Anthony -Getting out of quilting and I've got lots of quilting stuff, to send you, if you pay the postage!? Contact Connie

Crafts QuiltingFebruary 28, 2011
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Strip Quilting Ideas
Strip Quilting Ideas
patchwork quilt
Quilting Skit Ideas
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine