Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine

Long arm quilters can speed up the quilting process quite a bit, but do occasionally need to be serviced. This is a guide about repairing a long arm quilting machine.

I started to have loops 4, 5, and 6 to each row. I picked them out and changed needles. I tightened the tension, no luck. I took it to a repairman and he said it needed a M hook because the outside edges of the M hook were sharp and that was causing it to loop. Is he feeding me a bunch of bull? I have not had any problem with machine other than it broke a needle on the quilt before this started to happen. Thanks.

By Richard

Answers

While I'm not familiar with this brand machine I am familiar with sewing machines in general (and especially Singer antique-vintage-modern machines) and if your repair tech is saying you need an M hook, he's telling you the straight story.

Your threads are catching on the 'burred' bit on the hook, causing a 'stutter' in the machining that in turn causes the loops.

Have him change that hook ASAP so you can get back to quilting. Also, would you update to let us know what it cost you to have it changed so that we'll have the info for future reference?

Also, give this pdf a read - you may want to ask your repair tech what caused the hook to burr so that it doesn't happen again any time soon:

http://www.gamm … your_gammill.pdf

My longarm quilting machine jammed, and I disgorged a lot of thread, but the shaft doesn't turn and the motor grinds when I turn it on. I know it isn't a thread birdnest anymore, causing my machine to freeze. Could it be that the motor belt was torqued? The handwheel is just as tight as the shaft. I'm using a Nolting Hobby Quilter, and I love it! Just help me out of this (literal) jam, all you quilting gurus, please.

Answers

You need to remove the protective cover from the flywheel belt. Here is a video that explains. http://tinlizzi … t_id=BgLuF13uXck

My machine went into high speed and the needle broke. I shut off the machine and changed the needle. Now it skips stitches. I cleaned the machine and changed the needle again. I also changed the bobbin. It still skips stitches.

By Ruth G. from Oberlin, OH

I am experiencing poor stitch quality on my Gammill Optimum and Statler Stitcher, long arm quilting machine. My tension is good when stitching in one direction, but poor going the other way. The repair techs have been here 4 times. The hook assembly was replaced, but the stitches are slightly worse.

By Denise O