Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine?

Long arm quilters can speed up the quilting process quite a bit, but do occasionally need to be serviced. This is a page about repairing a long arm quilting machine.

The start button on my Janome Star long arm machine works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I suppose it will need to be repaired. Where do I get the parts and is this an easy thing to repair?

Answers

Best Answer

My best friend has these machines and she said to first try carefully cleaning around the button with a very fine brush as it could just be a lint build up that is causing the button to be wonky.

This is an example of what is out there on YouTube if you are handy and want to try a DIY fix. I wouldn't, but that is me...I am all thumbs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6b6LLEhaVM

Post back what you learn!! Hope it is as simple as a good cleaning!

Best Answer

While researching another problem, I read an article on Janome forum that you could use the spray that is used to clean computers but I have not tried this so I'm only relating what a "repair" shop person suggested.

It was suggested to turn off the machine and just spray the area/opening with a short burst and wait a few minutes before using the machine.

This spray can be found at most large stores or online.

www.walmart.com/.../1229749_1070964_1072399?cat_id=1229749_1070964_1072399...

My TinLizzie18 is sick. It turns on, gives the error code "uC", and then the screen turns to the normal "start sewing" screen. When I press the foot pedal, the machine moves lightening fast. Not even a professional quilter would move that fast.

I can't make it slow down (releasing the pressure on the foot does nothing. Changing the speed does nothing.) The only way to stop it is to turn it off. Oh, the TinLizzie company has since gone out of business, so I can't call/ask.

Answers

This is an expensive machine but boy are there a lot of negative remarks posted everywhere about this company and machine.

The only suggestion I can offer is to try and contact a quilting club that uses the TinLizzie18. I'm sure you probably have one in your area but you can Google TinLizzie quilting with your zip code and see what turns up.
You can also check with your local Michael's or Jo Ann's to see if they know of anyone using this machine as they have classes frequently and may have a name to contact.

Here is a link you can check out - email address near the bottom. They may be able to help you.

www.sewingmachinesplus.com/contact-us.php

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that might have something useful

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DViwrcLeKDc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yijRqia9frw

There is a Facebook page. Maybe someone else has had the same problem m.facebook.com/.../

My Tin Lizzie Ram is doing the same thing. I am very frustrated with this issue. I will check these resources out and send them to a repair guy who is trying to help me get this machine back up and running.
Monique

I can't figure out how to install the belt system for the Y axis on my Gammill Statler Optimim longarm quilting machine.

Someone please help!

Answers

I would contact the company directly gammill.com/

Since you are a quilter, I feel sure you are acquainted with someone in your area that belongs to a quilting club.

Or, if not, Google Quilting clubs with your zip code and try to contact someone in your area.
This will also give you a list of names so if you have questions in the future you will have someone to contact.

I get a lot of my 'who to contact' people from my local craft stores as this is where the majority of sewers and quilters buy their supplies and almost everyone at some point in time have problems that need answers (with instructions).

I have found that quilters love to help other quilters so I hope you will find this to be true in your area also.

Anonymous

We have contacted Gammill and other resources and we were still unable to figure it out. Was also told no one available for a service call for at least two to three weeks.

We finally found a technician yesterday evening and he is scheduled to come out later this afternoon. So, weve been down for almost 3 days.

I have an Artistic 18 long arm sewing machine. It keeps shutting off. Any ideas?

Answers

You have an electrical short somewhere. Unless you know about sewing machines, take it in for servicing.

how old is it? have you moved it around too much? It sounds like theres a wire frayed somewhere or a connection that's not being made. This can happen sometimes when the electrical cord has a fray in it or when any part of the components are not receiving power.

Bought it used in really good shape. Checked all the cords, all good. Janome said to have the main box replaced. I assume that it would be costly. When I am quilting, it just shuts off but the light stays on.

I have a Husqvarna Mega 18 x 8 Quilter that turns out to be nothing more than a tin lizzie. I had thread to hang up in the bobbin cace and I turned it off and removed the thread. When I turned it back on it started powering up as it is suppose to do, but all of a sudden it went completely out, like the power had gone out. I had an electrician come out and check my outlets for any issues and he put a meter on the mother board. The cord is hot up to where it goes into the mother board. There is no one near me that works on this machine, I'd have to take it to another state. I feel this is a mother board issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answers

You are correct the motherboard is fried and needs to be changed out. Maybe you can try to order one online and take it to a computer shop in your area. The reason I suggest this is because a computer shop could easily change the motherboard out for you and get it up and running again. These parts are the same asa computer and would not take long to unscrew the old one and replace it with the new one.

This sounds like a motherboard issue all right. I'm not sure a computer person would help as much as the official Husvrna repairpersons would, however, since they're different interfaces.

I started to have loops 4, 5, and 6 to each row. I picked them out and changed needles. I tightened the tension, no luck. I took it to a repairman and he said it needed a M hook because the outside edges of the M hook were sharp and that was causing it to loop. Is he feeding me a bunch of bull? I have not had any problem with machine other than it broke a needle on the quilt before this started to happen. Thanks.

By Richard

Answers

While I'm not familiar with this brand machine I am familiar with sewing machines in general (and especially Singer antique-vintage-modern machines) and if your repair tech is saying you need an M hook, he's telling you the straight story.

Your threads are catching on the 'burred' bit on the hook, causing a 'stutter' in the machining that in turn causes the loops.

Have him change that hook ASAP so you can get back to quilting. Also, would you update to let us know what it cost you to have it changed so that we'll have the info for future reference?

Also, give this pdf a read - you may want to ask your repair tech what caused the hook to burr so that it doesn't happen again any time soon:

www.gammill.net/.../protecting_your_gammill.pdf

My long arm stopped working. The needle wouldn't move. I turned the wheel clockwise and counter clockwise and cleaned out the bobbin casing area. Now the needle hits the casing when I try and move the needle. How can I adjust the casing so the needle moves freely and enable me to sew?

Answers

The timing is off. There is an article with pictures here.

www.instructables.com/.../

My longarm quilting machine jammed, and I disgorged a lot of thread, but the shaft doesn't turn and the motor grinds when I turn it on. I know it isn't a thread birdnest anymore, causing my machine to freeze. Could it be that the motor belt was torqued? The handwheel is just as tight as the shaft. I'm using a Nolting Hobby Quilter, and I love it! Just help me out of this (literal) jam, all you quilting gurus, please.

Answers

You need to remove the protective cover from the flywheel belt. Here is a video that explains. tinlizzie18.com/.../?video_yt_id=BgLuF13uXck

My machine went into high speed and the needle broke. I shut off the machine and changed the needle. Now it skips stitches. I cleaned the machine and changed the needle again. I also changed the bobbin. It still skips stitches.

By Ruth G. from Oberlin, OH

Answers

It sounds to me like either the tension needs to be adjusted, or you have the bobbin in upside down.

I am experiencing poor stitch quality on my Gammill Optimum and Statler Stitcher, long arm quilting machine. My tension is good when stitching in one direction, but poor going the other way. The repair techs have been here 4 times. The hook assembly was replaced, but the stitches are slightly worse.

By Denise O

Answers

I don't know if you have contacted them, but this is their website: gammill.com/

I would include photos or maybe even fabric samples with the poor stitching shown.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesNovember 13, 2013
🌻
📓
😎
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Long-Arm-Quilting-Machine.html