Repairing the Bobbin Winder on a Singer Sewing Machine

The bobbin winder on your machine is an important feature that you really can't do without. This is a page about repairing the bobbin winder on a Singer sewing machine.

I have a Singer Brilliance 6160 sewing machine and I have just started experiencing some problems with the bobbin winding mechanism. On the one hand, the bobbins are not so nicely wound as they used to. I mean, sometimes the winding is not homogeneous and there is more thread at the top or bottom of the bobbin. On the other hand, the machine used to stop when the bobbin was full and now it doesn't. It can continue forever, putting thread even out of the bobbin. Does anyone have had the same issue?
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

The bobbin winder tire may be worn out. Replace it.

I got this machine, a Singer 7444, brand new. The problem happened very soon after I got it. When I go to wind a bobbin, my machine makes a terrible grinding noise and the sewing needle will continue to rise and fall, though slowly. It seems like something isn't disengaging. One of my neighbors suggested oiling it, but I don't know where or even how to access the parts to oil. Could I have done damage by not looking into the problem sooner? If I go to get it repaired, will it likely be inexpensive?

Thanks for your feedback!

Answers

Best Answer

You should return the machine to the store of purchase. Either they fix the problem or replace the machine. If too much time has passed (yes-you should have checked the problem immediately), I suggest a repair shop-you can get an estimate of cost before repair.

I have a Singer Brilliance machine. The bobbin winder shaft at the top right hand of the machine has a small metal piece that allows the bobbin case to slide in and stay locked. This fine metal piece has been dislodged from the plastic shaft and lost. Now the bobbin case will not turn and the thread will not wind on the bobbin. How do I repair this?

Answers

Here is an excellent video on how to repair. m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuk_sWbLKO0

Have you tried Singer customer service? www.singer.com/support

They can tell you the best solution! Good luck!

sounds like an easy fix YOu buy the missing piece at www.ebay.com/.../bn_72848176

and pop it right in

Thanks for the site but couldn't find the shaft item. In any case thought of a way to solve it. I just wrapped some paper onto shaft so that bobbin fits in snug and the winding began turning.

That's what this country needs - more innovative people who can find an unconventional way to solve a problem!!

Glad you solved your problem and now you can enjoy using your machine again.

Cool!! Post a photo of your fix so we can see and learn from it!! I love DIY success stories!! Thanks for sharing!!

I have a Singer 4423. The bobbin got stuck on the bobbin winder, we had to pull hard and the post the bobbin sat on came out of the machine. We have put it back in, but bobbin winder now doesn't turn.

After taking top off the machine there is a metal spring with a bit on the end that fits in somewhere. I cannot figure it out.

Please help.

Answers

If you don't want to pay a service fee, which I think you will need as it seems you have broken a part, you can buy a product called Sidewinder. It is a stand-alone bobbin winder. It costs about $30.

This is a cleaning and maintenance video but there may be something in it if you watch that can give you an idea of repair if that is possible: www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5thMOE3Ofg

You can always call Singer customer service and ask for their input:

www.singer.com/support

Hope you can find an easy solution!

obviously you probably need to consult a professional but it sounds like the piece got stuck due to a lack of lubrication and possibly a thread in the mechanism lost its way and created the lack of turning which then ejected the spring mechanism, thus rendering the machine nonfunctional

you must figure out where the metal piece came from as ths was instrumental to the turning mechanism

You have a problem that only a professional can help you with.

Check out this site as they have a marvelous Singer network and these responders know everything there is to know about Singer sewing machines.

You will have to join (free) but you can ask your question and someone will tell you what to do - in very plain English.

Be sure to tell them everything that happened and also your level of expertise with this machine so they will know how to answer.

ismacs.net/digest.html

I have a Singer 9810c sewing machine. The bobbin winder is not locking. Even if I set it up to wind it won't keep the winder in the right position. How do I solve this problem?

Thanks!

Answers

Here is an instruction manual: www.singerco.com/.../448_5_6_8_10_slide.pdf

You can also contact the company here: www.singer.com/support

I am a beginner sewer. I borrowed a machine, a Singer CG 500/550, and somehow the piece that you put the bobbin onto to put thread on the bobbin came unhooked within the machine. I opened the machine up, but have no clue how to connect the piece again. Help?

Answers

Here is an excellent video on YouTube that shows how to repair a bobbin winder. Please see the video here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuk_sWbLKO0

There is another video that shows you how to trouble shoot your bobbin winder.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2d4k0P55U

The Mermaid's Den also has an excellent article on how to repair your bobbin winder.
mermaidsden.com/.../

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMarch 8, 2017
🎃