Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine

Some problems that you may experience with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, others will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a guide about repairing a Singer sewing machine.

Without the ability to properly adjust the tension on your sewing machine stitches can vary and cause unsightly seams that can be too loose or too tight. This is a guide about repairing the tension knob on a Singer sewing machine.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Some issues with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, but some problems will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a guide about repairing a Singer 6268 sewing machine.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If the bobbin has become stuck on your Singer sewing machine, you may need to have it repaired professionally. This is a guide about bobbin case in singer machine stuck.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If your Singer sewing machine has stopped working, it may need repair from a professional. This is a guide about singer sewing machine won't sew.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The bobbin winder on your machine is an important feature that you really can't do without. This is a guide about repairing the bobbin winder on a Singer sewing machine.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a Singer 5500 and I'm trying to make buttonholes automatically. My machine won't do it correctly and I have watched so many videos on it (which were not good). It will sew to the top then just start sewing side to side in one place. Help!

Answers

You have me somewhat confused. Can you post a picture of what it looks like?? Mine does what you state, because thats what its supposed to do to (goes back and forth to anchor the stitching). When you say it goes up to the top, is it just sewing one side of the button hole and not coming back down to do the other side? Or is it the type that sews up both sides at the same time?

I got a Singer sewing machine model 7011. It stitches on the top, but gathers on the bottom of the fabric. We changed the bobbin, but nothing changed. What would be the next step? We got it at a garage sale about 10yrs ago.

Answers

It sounds like you need to adjust the tension. Somewhere along the thread there should be a knob or lever to adjust your tension. I hope this helps.

If you want to keep this machine, invest in a 'professional' to go over it for you. Sometimes a needle breaks and all pieces don't get removed, to wrong type of thread used, bobbin aged, esp if using metal bobbin. Keeping machine clean is very important, and oiled regularly WHERE it is required. Hope you have the manual for it, OR you can google MANUAL for said machine and model. They are online, some free. I recently updated from my 30 year old machine. Had one from the 1960 prior to that. And yes, they moved to the basement for non-intricate sewing. They can still do tarps, heavy jackets, jean zippers, etc. Taking care of machines is what keeps them going.

When thread is bunching underneath the fabric it is usually a problem of tension balance. The upper thread doesn't go down enough. Reduce the tension on the needle thread by putting the tension knob on an average tension level.
There is also a little screw on the bobbin holder that adjust the tension on the bobbin thread you can tighten it with a screw driver. As Grandma J. said dusting, cleaning all parts
of the machine where the threads go through is very important specially the tension disks in your case (these are the disks the tension knob is pressing on) and of course make sure you are using the same kind of thread for the bobbin and to feed the needle.
They can be different in colours but they must be the same type of thread, cotton or polyester and good quality threads made for sewing machine and not thread for hand sewing which are wax coated to make them stronger.
If they are different in type it will be very difficult to balance the tension as for example cotton thread and polyester thread do not have the same elasticity.
Balancing the tension is the tricky part of sewing with a sewing machine even with the most modern machines. Once you have succeeded don't forget that the first thing you should sew is a proper cover made to the shape of your machine that will protect it from dust.

Hope this helps !

The needle bar on my Singer Stylist 413 has become loose and I can't figure out how to fix it. It doesn't stay in place and I can literally turn the needle back and forth. I had to adjust the needle bar to align the machine marks with the bottom of the casing after I had replaced the vertical gear (which broke into pieces) and reset the hook timing. Ever since, I can't seem to get the needle bar to stay securely in place. Can anyone help? I also can't find a repair manual for my machine. Thank you.

I have a Singer model 2662. It's supposed to be able to stitch 38 different ways, but it only does a straight stitch. I'm just learning how to sew and bought it used, so I don't know how to maintain it. How often to clean it or oil it or anything else.

My Singer sewing machine 6199 has an error code of E7 on it. I've checked everything and I only see that the plastic part on the light has broken and the light got hung down little bit.

Does that affect the sewing machine by locked up?

Answers

From Fixya:

Your button hole lever has been bumped. It is just to the left of the the needle bar. I just pulled mine all the way down, then pushed it all the way back up. No more E7!!!! Color me happy for sure!

I hope Judy's answer fixed your problem but if you need more info, Singer will usually answer any question (usually very quickly).

http://www.singerco.com/contact-us

I have a Singer Esteem sewing machine that recently froze up. The hand wheel does not turn. I have checked for errant threads in the bobbin case as well as the spool threading areas. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Answers

If you have removed the threads than a gear or lever might have broken. You need a repairperson to do this.

Here are some ideas:
The thread is not in the uptake lever. Check to be sure.

Your bobbin winder is stuck in the "locked" position.

Your machine has a clutch. Some older machines have a clutch that must be released.

Your machine just needs to be oiled.

I have been beating myself up trying to figure out how to restring the string for the stitch selector screen. Once I got it opened up I realized that string to the selector indicator was cut in 2 places. Now I can't for the life of me figure out exactly how to run string around gear and pullies to work right. Any help would be awesome!
Thanks.

The electrical cord on my Singer sewing machine keeps shorting out. It will only work in certain plugs or it will work and stop working 15 minutes later. What's causing the problem? And how do I fix it?

I have a Singer 99K (knee controlled) which runs on its own continuously. How do I fix this?

Answers

We had an air conditioner that ran on its own. The man who came to repair it said it was shot, and had to be replaced.

I have a Singer 600E, I've threaded the bobbin and all that good stuff. But when I push my pedal down my needle won't move, the motor runs, but nothing happens. Is it my pedal?

Answers

Sorry if my answer is a bit too simple but the motor runs and the needle doesn't move when you thread a bobbin so maybe you left the machine in that special position, usually it is a special position of the handwheel.

Hope this helps !

First of all, download this free copy of the user manual from the Singer website:

http://www.sing  0_600revised.pdf

Be sure you've followed ALL the instructions for winding the bobbin and restoring the settings for sewing mode. Be especially sure you're using the correct bobbin for your machine - the Singer 600E Touch'n'Sew will work with the wrong bobbin - for a while - and then it will quit working.

If that doesn't help it's most likely the bobbin gear (not a home fix!) and time to take your vintage Touch'n'Sew to a repair tech - look for one adverting he/she is factory trained and or authorised as the Touch'n'Sew, built from 1964 and forward, is a rather complicated machine to work on and requires specialised knowledge specific to the machine.

The bobbin gear on your model is especially touchy - it's magnetised and isn't at all easy to fix without that specialised knowledge, and faithful use of ONLY the designated bobbin for the machine.

Best luck, I hope you're back sewing again soon!

It most likely is a problem with the bobbin casing. There is probably a piece of thread stuck in it somewhere and if you don't remove every little piece, it will not go. Sometimes, you can find the piece and pull it out, but sometimes, you just have to take it in.

I'm new here and hoping for some help or guidance. I have just bought a Singer 99k. I think it's a Simanco 33663. I've given the machine a good cleaning and oil, I'm happy with how it's cleaned up, all seems well apart from something that should be happening with the bobbin thread.

When I attempt to sew, the top thread does just what it should in respect that it goes around the bobbin case and pulls up the bobbin thread. So far so good. :o)
But then when I attempt a few stitches all I get is the top cotton in place, (these stitches pop out because they are not anchored.) There's no sign of the bobbin thread :o( I've read some trouble shooting threads and used a new needle and adjusted the bobbin tension.

I don't know much about these machines yet and was wondering if it's a timing issue, but given that the top thread collects bobbin thread everytime, I thought maybe timing is OK? I've looked underneath the machine and can see where the metal part catches the top thread and takes it round to the bobbin, but I can't work out which bit might involve connecting the bobbin thread! I thought a vintage machine would be easy to maintain on my own!

Any advice would be very much appriciated.
Many thanks in advance :o)

Answers

Singer has an email and phone "contact us" site that might be able to help you. Website:

https://www.sin  re.com/contacts/

Also, a local sewing machine repair shop should be able to identify the problem and provide an estimate for repair.

Thank you :-)

You can take the machine to a repair tech - it's the bobbin gear (or the rubber 'belt') and needs to be changed and the repair tech will have access to the part - probably has a tub full of them:) This applies to 99Ks that are hand crank or electrified - the workings are the same on both types. I do a lot of refurb and repair on these here in Scotland for my Sewing 101 students.

There is a free download available online for servicing the hand-cranks (99K) and treadles (usually the 66K) if you're feeling adventurous, and spare parts can be purchased once you know the name of the part you need. The first link is for the service manual - be prepared it takes some time to download all of the sections but it's well worth the time! The Tools For Self Reliance charity group refurbishes non-electric vintage machines and then donates the machines to be used by sewing business entrepreneurs - you will be able to download without having to pay, join, or pledge a machine donation but if you are interested, all the info you need is there as well. The manual at the link below is aimed at Singer vintage non-electrics and you will find it fascinating and easy to follow:

http://www.tfsr  _machine_manual/

This link takes you to a parts supplier - he carries an amazing selection of spares for vintage Singers and is very reasonably priced:

http://www.tandtrepair.com/

Word of warning - these vintage treasures are addictive!

Anonymous

BRAVO!! ... for your wonderful answer! I'm also addicted to old machines - and just ran into this very thing on a 99K. WHAT a good little lump of pig iron, though .... All cleaned, serviced, oiled and adjusted, it's so quiet that you can't hear the little thing running and it sews extraordinarily well. I'm on to a 221 Featherweight - and then a TOTAL refurb of a Singer 66 treadle machine. Good thing I have a Free-Westinghouse to SEW on whilst I work over these Singers!! Hahaha!!!

My buttonhole foot won't make buttonholes. I have all the settings right, in the correct order. All I get is a glob of thread. The foot doesn't move like it should to make the buttonhole.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a Singer 301A sewing machine. What to do if the little arm that's used to open bobbin case (to take out and/or insert bobbin) breaks?

I have an old Singer Stylist 413. I was sewing a fleece blanket, heavy weight, and heard a loud squeaky noise, After oiling it, the sound was better. While sewing, the hook timing gear that the bobbin case fits into stopped turning. I tried moving it manually and it is super tight. It basically seized up. The hand wheel turns and the needle goes up and down, the timing gear just isn't turning. Any thoughts?

Answers

A piece of material or some threads may be stuck in the bottom of the machine. I would check for this first.

I have Singer sewing machine, model 9111. The fuse went off with a bang! Is there somewhere I can by a new fuse or a new mother board (circuit card)?

Answers

Singerco.com has the parts for your machine. Fixya has a forum that you can get help installing the parts, if necessary.

Thank you :)

I need to remove the back cover of my Singer 3827 so that I can replace the spool holder and pin. I've tried unscrewing the obvious parts on the back cover, but couldn't seem to get the cover off. Is there a trick to this?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

I have a Featherweight sewing machine, circa 1950, Mod#221-1. I don't use it much and then only for hemming slacks, shorts, fixing my flags, etc. It has always worked great. The last time I set it up for use was about 2 weeks ago. I was half way finished with my job when I noticed it was stitching perfectly on top, but the bottom stitching was all bunching up. So I pulled all of the stitching out and was going to start over, but needed more thread on the bobbin. I was just starting the process of filling the bobbin when it just quit functioning. The motor will run fine, but it just won't sew. The belt is looking good and motor is good. I tried to turn the wheel on the right, but can't. However, the sewing arm will slightly move up/down when I try to move the wheel, but it just won't move any further. It is as if something is either broken or has become disconnected, so that it won't function. I would like to try to fix this with some help before I turn it loose on some of the local repair persons. None have very good references and all try to overcharge and have no customer service. I'll take any help you can give me.

BTW: I'm new to sewing and have only used this machine which does nothing but straight stitch. Additionally, this has a lot of sentimental value since it was my grandma's and my mother's before she gave it to me.
Thanks.

Answers

Nothing's quite as frustrating, right? In the middle of a project and the darn machine quits? (I've been sewing for more than 30 years and remember those early days well. If it turns out you love to sew, consider - at some point - investing in a good machine: it makes the world of difference.)

To the problem at hand: first, remove all threads, spools (including bobbin) and lint. If you can unscrew the plate beneath the presser foot, do so. Use a small brush to get rid of fabric and thread remnants in the undercarriage. If you use canned air to blow / clean your computer fan, use a spurt to get rid of the last of the lint beneath the presser foot. Use the same canned air to dislodge any potential thread blockage in the sewing machine foot pedal.

At this point it's crucial to check the entire area where the lower thread bobbin resides. Some sewing machines are extremely sensitive in this regard. (I'm not familiar with your make / model but have dealt with Singer and Husqvarna which I consider to be the most tempermental and problematic sewing machines extant.)

Once clear of all blockages, try turning the hand crank. You may want to give it a quick burst of WD-40. Depress the foot pedal and keep trying to turn the machine by hand. Do not add any threads at this point.

If your machine still refuses to engage, you may indeed have a broken shaft, but at least you'll have tried everything before spending money.

The Singer Featherweight is an excellent machine! Yours may need grease in some of it's internal gears and oil in all it's other thirsty places. Here is a great blog post about cleaning and lubricating your Featherweight: http://jillybej  atherweight.html

I am also including a link to Dave McCallum's site where you can purchase a very informative DVD and book about restoring, cleaning, and maintaining your Featherweight. http://featherweight221.com/

I truly hope you get your lovely machine back in working order. There's really nothing new that can compare to the vintage sewing machines. I am now the proud "parent" of a Minnesota Model D treadle machine (1912), a Singer 66 Redeye that I am going to convert to a hand crank machine (1911), a Japanese clone of the Singer 15 (circa 1950), and a Kenmore 158 (late 60's early 70's). They each have their own quirks, but each of them sew much better than my modern Singer Curvy (which I am considering selling.)

I truly hope the above listed sites can offer you the assistance you need in order get your lovely little lady up and running again. I hope she brings you many more years of happiness, especially since she belonged to your grandmother and your mother. Family heirlooms such as that should be treasured members of the family as well as functional ones.

God bless,
Lacey

I also forgot to mention in my previous post, that you may want to check the carbon brushes in your motor. There is an access port under the machine. There are instructional videos on YouTube that show how to check/replace carbon brushes in motors.

I just inherited my grandmother's 1921 Singer treadle sewing machine. I had it five minutes and I broke the cover off of where the bobbin goes. I slid it out and I thought it came off, it snapped off and now it won't go back on! What do I do?

I have a Singer Confidence sewing machine. So I need to stitch a hem on canvas. The needle is going up and down normally. The bobbin and needle seem to be threading properly, but no stitches are transferring to the fabric?

I have just received an old Singer 5528 machine that I have cleaned and oiled, but when I turn the stitch knob to say zig-zag nothing happens. It just sews straight. Can I fix this myself or do I need a professional?

I have a model Singer ET-1 sewing machine. The needle won't move when pushing pedal or buttons. It occasionally sounds like it is trying, but can't move. It flashes an exclamation point on the screen. No other error codes. I am able to easily turn the knob and it stitches fine when doing that.

Oh yes I still have this machine. I do not sew a great deal, just hem and mend. For some reason my bobbin stops winding after just a small amount of thread is put on it. Any thoughts? I have not had it serviced for a bit. I am just looking for an answer to get through this current need, then service or a new machine perhaps?
Thanks for any help.

Answers

Could it be a tension problem? Sometimes the threading can cause sticking and pulling. Also I would try letting the machine run as if sewing while bobbin winding, in case the problem is in the switch. Another cause might be in the winder itself; I'd check to see if some thread has been caught on the spindle underneath and out of sight.

I have a Singer 257 sewing machine. The needle side zig zag looks good. The bobbin side is a straight line--no zig zag. Is this out of time or what? Something simple or not?

Answers

Perhaps your bobbin needs to be reversed?

The tension on the bobbin needs to be adjusted. Remove the needle plate and there will be a screw near the bobbin case. Refer to the manual as to which direction tightens the tension and vice versa.

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter machine. I lowered the feed dog to sew on a button and they will not go back up. Help?

I have a Singer One Plus sewing machine that keeps slowing/bogging down while sewing. What could be causing this?

I just bought a Singer 301a. The needle is centre correctly, but my attached presser foot is not. It is shifted to the left so the needle is very close to the right hand side of the foot. This is the case for all the feet. How do I adjust the presser foot bar so they are centred correctly. Otherwise, I see broken needles in my future.

Answers

If your machine is a new purchase, I would return it to the store to fix the problem or replace the machine.

Just now, my husband received the fourth new printer from the company trying to replace the original machine we purchased. Since the problem keeps repeating, we demanded a different new printer to avoid the same problem.

What a pain!!!

I bought an old Singer 6110 from a yardsale. It plugs in, and the light turns on, but when I press the foot pedal, it doesn't run. The cords and foot pedal seem to be in good shape. I need a little help.

Answers

You need to take this sewing machine to a qualified repair tech - there are so many reasons why it won't sew there isn't room here to list them all:) Buying a sewing machine at a yard sale, flea market, second hand shop, free classified ad paper, etc, is fun - but should only be undertaken by someone with the understanding the machine should be taken straightaway for a check over by a qualified repair tech. A sewer can find amazing bargains but part of the bargain should be the understanding a professional (or self-taught tooled up) tech should be the next person(s) to handle the machine.

The top thread on my machine will not catch. I was initially having an issue with the bobbin thread not catching on the hook. Now, the top thread will not stitch correctly. When I change the type of stitch I want to do (i.e., zig zag) the needle moves side to side as if doing the zig zag, but does not make the stitch.

Answers

Here's a free download of your user guide from the Singer website:

http://www.sing  546_7463_efs.pdf

Although I do quite a bit of repair and refurb on Singers, I have no experience with the computerised models - go through the manual and be sure you're using the correct settings (there can be several for each stitch wanted). If none of that helps, it's time for a visit to the Singer factory trained repair tech.

Load More