Repairing Handwheel on a Singer Sewing Machine

The handwheel needs to move freely for proper sewing and can develop a problem when the machine is not set properly and gets jammed. This is a guide about repairing handwheel on a singer sewing machine.

The handwheel on my Singer sewing machine model #2932 will not move forward, but it will move backwards easily. Can you tell me if I can fix this myself or do I need a repair tech?

Answers

Best Answer

I would try a drop of oil. If that doesn't work, I'd bring it in for servicing.

My Singer sewing machine model #3116 hand wheel is stuck. It won't turn forward or backwards. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Please help!

Answers

Best Answer

The one and only thing to do is take your Singer to a qualified repair tech - it sounds to me as though the bobbin gear has failed but without seeing the machine I have to also say the problem could be one of several problems and none are a home-fix.

I do vintage Singer repair for my Sewing 101 students and the bobbin gear is usually the reason the hand wheel won't budge - but not always. Your Singer isn't technically a vintage machine, and is too new a model for the bobbin gear to have failed. It may even still be under warranty - all the more reason to have a professional have a look.

The hand wheel of my Singer 7465 sewing machine popped right off and flew across the room. Will I be able to get it back on myself? It looks like it's a bit tricky. Thanks.

By Georgie

Answers

Best Answer

Oh yikes! Yes, this is tricky and not a job for the home sewing machine user without training. There are two or three parts to the hand wheel (depends on model year) and aside from the wheel these are very small parts you may not have noticed when the hand wheel flew off.

Too, for the hand wheel to have come off and flown across room there had to have been considerable force from inside the machine, indication a very serious part(s) failure.

Gather up everything you can find from the hand wheel explosion and take it all including the machine to a qualified Singer repair tech - look through your local telephone directory or online search results (using a search term that includes your locale and Singer sewing machine repair); be sure to check only the adverts clearly stating 'qualified' or 'factory authorised', and to telephone or visit to get an estimate that includes a servicing (oiling and cleaning plus a complete check over in addition to repairing the hand wheel crisis).

Please believe me that this is not a job for the home sewer without training. I do vintage repairs here in Scotland for my sewing students, and can promise you there is so much 'tricky' to repairing a sewing machine it's not worth risking the machine to try a home repair.

I had to replace a needle in my Singer 3116 today. After properly replacing the needle, the handwheel will not turn "at all" and needle not moving as a result. I opened up my machine to clear out any dust or threads, checked the bobbin, and ran through the trouble-shooting steps in the manual. Still no luck. Now what?

By jlp

Answers

Best Answer

I posted an answer to this back in December but I see it's not showing - if you haven't given up on this machine, it's a fairly simple fix for a repair tech - your bobbin gear has 'died'. In the US the repair+a good servicing will cost you around $100, here in the UK around £60.

How do I get the handwheel to lock on my Singer sewing machine?

Answers

Do you want to lock the hand wheel so that you can wind a bobbin?

Do you have the user guide - it will tell you how to do that.

If you don't have the manual you can go to the SingerCo website and find a free download there - look for the navigation feature for 'support' then chose the link to manuals. Type in your model number and a free download will come up.

Hello ! Usually the hand wheel is locked and unlocked by moving its central part of the hand wheel. The central part acts like a knob and locks and unlocks the hand wheel when moved from back to front. With some models you may have to first pull the knob to be able to move it and with a new model of sewing machine the hand wheel can't be locked because it is not necessary as the hand wheel is not used anymore to wind a bobbin.

I am trying to get a Singer 99k to run. When I first started to work on this machine, it would not turn at all. After oiling it thoroughly over the course of a few days, I am able to turn the wheel by hand. That was when I noticed that the wheel does not track evenly, but runs out quite a bit, maybe 3/8", and it is still hard to turn, as though it were binding. Any ideas?

Answers

Download this repair and refurbishment manual and print it out (my copy requires four big 3-ring binders:). Your answer is there - and now you'll be able to fix EVERYTHING on your Singer 99K.

Welcome to Singer Gracious Ladies Sewing - there really isn't a better machine out there!

http://www.tfsr … _machine_manual/