Repairing a Singer 6268 Sewing Machine

Some issues with your sewing machine can be repaired or adjusted at home, but some problems will need to be looked at by a repair person. This is a page about repairing a Singer 6268 sewing machine.

I have a stuck cartridge and it won't pull out of my Singer 6268 sewing machine. I need some help.

By John

Answers

Best Answer

First of all, here's a link to your machine user manual:

www.singerco.com/.../1272_6268-_-6268_6267-wholeas-of...

Check page 28 for tips on the cartridge - have you tried 'shocking' the machine by disconnecting it from the power point whilst turned on? Doing so may cause your vintage machine to release the cartridge.

Don't plug the machine back in before trying to release the cartridge, and if the 'shock' doesn't release it, you need to take your machine to a qualified, factory trained Singer repair tech - look for those exact words in the advert posted online or in the telephone directory under sewing centres or sewing machine repair.

Your Singer is a beautifully made vintage 'computerised' sewing machine, made in Italy and very well engineered. However, it IS a vintage machine and it's very likely something has finally worn out. Time for a visit to the trained professional.

I replaced the slide plate as one of the springs had come loose. Since receiving the new plate Part No. 313166 and installing it, I cannot get the bobbin to work correctly. At best it stitches, but pulls many strands of thread at the base of the work. Observing it in action it seems that the spring loaded clip that holds the bobbin case in place is stopping the thread from advancing around the bobbin housing.

Are there any adjustments that I can make at home? Or do I need more new parts? I have owned this machine since 1985 or 6.

Answers

Best Answer

I think your problem is the bobbin class you're using in the machine - the 6268 uses a very specialised bobbin - the Centour II, and while class 66 (and some badly milled 15J or K class) bobbin WILL seem to fit, the use of them WILL cause the very problem that had you replacing the original plate, and your current problem (thread catching on springs).

You need to be sure you're using the Centour II bobbin class, or a bobbin marked specifically for your 6268.

My Singer 6268 will not do stitches 4, 11, or 18. All of the other stitches work fine. The selector buttons for these three stitches are in the same column. How do I repair that column?

Answers

Best Answer

First of all, here's a link to the free download of your user guide at the Singer website:

Go through the manual to be sure you've set the width, length, and any other settings needed for the stitches you want to use.

If that doesn't help, you need to take your lovely vintage electronic sewing machine to a factory authorised repair tech. Yes, it may be expensive (I suspect one of the cartridges has failed) but worth it if the parts needed can be sourced.

Be wary if the tech tries to talk you into 'junking' the machine in favour of a 'comparable upgrade'. He/she may be spot-n your machine has sewn it's last stitches 4, 11, or 18, but as you state the machine is still sewing the other stitches, and assuming all else is fine, there is no reason to 'junk' the machine. Upgrades are great but if you're ok with losing three stitches, keep the machine. It's possible the tech is hoping to get your machine (hence my warning to be wary) for parts or to refurb your machine to sell on - sadly, not all repair techs are as nice as we'd like them to be.

My old Singer 6268 machine died. Does anyone know if the problem is the motherboard and if so, where can I purchase a motherboard?

By Clare

Answers

Best Answer

If you haven't already, this machine needs the attention of a qualified Singer repair tech. Replacing the motherboard on a computerised machine isn't something that can be done at home, especially on a vintage computerised machine like the 6268.

My Singer 6268 works great aside from the speed of sewing fluctuating. I am using my darning foot to do free motion quilting and I will press down to start sewing and sometimes it will be fast, or slow, or completely stop without changing the actual speed.

I have tried cleaning out the air hose, but to no avail.

Answers

There is a loose connection on one of the wires to the foot pedal.

It does appear that your wiring could be the problem.
You do not say if you have a wired foot line or if it can be disconnected but there could be a problem with either one.

First; disconnect your machine before looking at the wiring.
If it is wired in then you need to look carefully at the complete wire - start at the electric plug in end and work your way to the machine - carefully checking to see if there are any breaks/snags in the wire coating.
Look very carefully for small breaks/snags where the wire joins the machine.
If you find any snags you may have to have the wire replaced.

If your foot wire can be disconnected then you can do the same checking just be sure to look at the plug ends also.

Here is a link to a user manual - just in case someone needs a free copy.
I did not see anything in the manual that would relate to your problem so you might be able to get an answer from Singer support.

www.singer.com/.../support?lp=support&title=6268

www.singer.com/support

I bought a Singer 6268 embroidery machine and it works, but not with a cartridge. Can anyone help me find out how to get it to work?

Answers

I would look at troubleshooting tips here: www.singer.com/troubleshooting-tips

If that doesn't work, go to the main page and contact them.

Did you but this from a store or a person?

I ask because I was gifted a sewing machine many years ago and was told all the attachments were for the machine. Turned out almost none of the attachments belonged to the machine, which explained why I couldn't get the ruffler I dreamed about to ruffle.

This was a family gift, so I could never say anything, but if you bought it from a store or person, ask them to show you how to use it.

If this is not an option, contact Singer at www.singer.com/support

Post back what you learn!

I purchased it used, in unknown condition. It only sews in reverse even when the reverse function is not selected. Any help or hope resolving?

By Diane B.

Answers

There could be many problems resulting in the machine's current difficulties. If you are interested in keeping the machine, the best plan would be to take the machine to a repair shop. The shop can examine the machine and give you an estimate of the current condition and what can be done to fix the problems (there will probably be an initial exam cost). You can then decide if it is worth the cost to repair.

Hi I have the same problem with my machine and I took it to a repairer and he said he cannot get the parts for it .Is that right or is there anywhere where I can purchase them from
Cheers Rita

I have a Singer machine, model #6268. The timing seems out; the needle is hitting the metal plate.

Answers

Your timing could be out or you could have a bent piece. Timing is not that easy to fix if you are not familiar with it. You can look at YouTube for videos. My hunch is that you will need to have it serviced.

I own a Singer 6268 sewing machine with a self winding bobbin. I have all of the manuals and have tried winding the bobbin step-by-step with multiple threads and multiple bobbins. Each time the thread winds around the screw on the bottom of the bobbin, and not inside it.

Does it sound like it needs service or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks!

By Susan Diamond P.

Answers

Are you absolutely sure you're using the correct class bobbin size and material (plastic or metal, some self winders only use plastic because the self-winding is magnetic, others use only metal because the system is balanced)?

Because of the way you've tried to sort the problem without success (which are all of the way listed in the manual troubleshooting pages), and if you're sure you're using the correct class and material bobbin, the machine sounds as though something in the self-winding system has failed.

You're best advised to make time for a visit to the Singer Sewing Centre or other centre adverting they do Singer factory approved repairs.

I have a Singer model 6268 from 1986, it sews a perfect straight stitch, but skips on all others. What could cause this?

By Lachelle Kimball from Granby, MO

Answers

It's well worth the money to have it repaired by an expect. The timing might have to be set. Don't attempt to fix it yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

Sometimes it can be frustrating trying to find the control for raising the feed dogs on a new sewing machine. This is a page about raising feed dogs on a Singer 6268 sewing machine.

Sewing Machine Needle

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Loading the bobbin is an important step for setting up any sewing machine. This is a page about how to load the bobbin on a Singer 6268 sewing machine.

threading a sewing machine

Finding these vintage machine embroidery cartridges will likely require some internet searching. This is a page about buying SewWare cartridges for Singer sewing machine #6268.

SewWare Cartridges

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJuly 2, 2017
🎃
🌻