Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine

I have a handheld sewing machine. The first time I used it, it worked perfectly. Then I used it on a cotton material, at first, it was skipping (jumping stitches) then it stopped stitching. Now the machine is working as if there is no thread in it when sewing. The sound is still the same when sewing, only it is not stitching.

Please I need someone to help me out. Thanks.

14 More Questions

Has anyone purchased a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine and had good results? I only do a little mending and I didn't want to spend the money on a regular sewing machine. I also don't have the space so I thought the handheld one would be better.

Caramel1 from NJ

Answers

By Hermgirl (Guest Post)

As a matter of fact, I did purchase a Handy Stitch machine recently, and I've used it to create a small drawstring bag already, and I have plans to make a matching tote bag.

My advice is, make sure you read the instructions thouroughly, because the locking mechanism while you're threading it can be tricky, but once you figure that out and practice with it a couple of times, it's a snap.

I was lucky enough to get mine at Goodwill for about three bucks--like new. I think the person must have gotten it and not read the instructions, and when they couldn't figure it out immediately gave up on it. I think that happens a lot because people don't like to read instructions.

I purchased one about 3 years ago. I had to return it because the bobbin kept popping out. It wasn't at all what I thought. I decided not to replace it with another one.

I have had two so far, I find the one produced by Singer the better of the two. Be aware that this machine does only what is called a lockstitch, this is not like a regular sewing machine stitch. They usually do not have reverse or backup, so you may have to hand knot the ends to keep them from unravelling. It is good for basic stuff, but the Handy Stitch model I have uses bobbins for the thread which you might have to wind yourself from spools. Also found the battery positioning very wierd for the Handy Stitch I have. Singer model can be battery or plug in. Check Walmart, sure I saw a small sewing machine(half the size of regular or smaller) might be better.

Read the directions? How fun is that? I'd go to Goodwill or a garage sale and get a used sewing machine for $10 or so. Portables usually come in sturdy boxes (like luggage), they're easy to use, the older ones are reliable, and they don't take up much space.

I bought one near Christmastime one year. I was making scarves for my sisters and mom and was tired of hand stitching them. I was able to sew about a foot before it conked out for good (not thick fabric either!). I would recommend getting a regular sewing machine if you plan to sew more than VERY occasionally, say once a year or so. Who knows, maybe you will get inspired to sew more often if you have the right device. I'm not a sewer, but I am tempted . . .

Jess in Portland, OR

By Judy (Guest Post)

Hi: Got one cause my special needs kids I look after was interested, thought it would be a great idea, it was impossible for them to learn on, it was a piece of junk. I ended up teaching them on my big machine and they had no problems. Try to find a regular machine, you would be amazed at how many times you would use it.

By Christal Knight (Guest Post)

I bought one at a thrift store, boy did I waste mine $4 bucks. This machine is not worth 2 cent. I wanted it for my sail boat, thought it would be handy to have. The first time I used it was a bummer. I plan to throw this away so no other sucker with waste their money.

By (Guest Post)

It is a piece of junk. It does not work, and if you manage to get it to work for any length, the stitching unravels very easily. I would send you mine just to be happy to get rid of it, but it's not worth the postage to do so. I saw one on Ebay for $1.

does anyone have a manual or maybe can tell me how to thread this thing cause every time i use it, the stitching pulls right out! I don't have a clue about sewing machines, never used one but I don't think the thread is supposed to pull out after the stitch is done! it looks good, but the end where i cut it from the handystitch just pulls the whole thing right out.

Now I bought this from a yard sale and stitched my pants on the top of my thigh (like two inches) and had to cut the stitches out! That was the end of the thread then when I tried to put more on or on the stitches pull right out,
PLEASE HELP

By Q. (Guest Post)

LucyJew, December 24, 2007
By Black Queen

A piece of junk. It come out stitch at the end and beginning. I try to tight the knot and it keep coming out. It did not let me tight the knot when I tight 4 knots to make bigger knot so it won't come out. But the stitch still come out, then you will not have any stitch which mean you are not sewing. It does not work. It can not sew. A piece of junk. I will return. Hopefully they refund my money $18.00

By Fran M (Guest Post)

Does anyone know where I can get the instructions? Someone gave me one but I haven't a clue as to how to thread it.

I bought the singer hand held machine, an I have to say it was AWEFUL I got my money back fast!, The needles that were in the package for replacement didnt fit, A total waste of time an money, Look around in the hobby lobby, or walmart thay sometimes have mini machines, that are great, an not hand held :)

By jb (Guest Post)

Does anyone know when the handy stitch was invented?

I am having trouble with my handheld sewing machine. I thread it as shown in the instructions, but it creates stitches from the thread already pulled through the needle rather than taking it from the bobbin. Originally it was dropping stitches so I lowered the needle, as suggested in other posts.

After that it was sewing perfect stitches, but from the wrong end of the thread. Attached are photos showing what I mean. Doesn't anyone know what is happening? To get a complete line of stitches I need to pull through massive amounts of thread.

Answers

Best Answer

Whatever you try, be sure to check if it is working before going to something else.
First, try raising the needle as it was before as sometimes this will work.
Clean out under bobbin as this area can get very dirty.
Are you using new thread?
Checked for burrs on needle? Correct needle?

There can be differences in brands of this handheld machine.
Here is the basic threading diagram of one machine although you should continue to follow your diagram if it is easy to understand.

www.pinterest.com/.../

Sometimes you can Google your question with your brand name as there may be a lot of answers to check out.

This site has some good suggestions: (regular sewing machine but same problem).

sewingmachinetalk.com/.../

Best Answer

Normally the problem is with the thread tension on these small machines. If the tension is too tight or too loose this can happen. You will need to check the tension on the thread to make sure it is correct. Here is a site on how to troubleshoot this machine and adjust the tension so this quits happening. sewingmachinetalk.com/.../#:~:text=If%20the%20tension%20on....

Answer this Question

I have an old Singer Handy Stitch CEX300K that has no batteries in it. I've taken it apart, but can't find chamber for the 4 AA batteries it requires. How/where do I replace them?

My Handy hand held sewing machine will sew, but as soon as you move the needle from material the thread pulls completely out of the material?

Anyone have the owner's manual for a Handy Stitch handheld sewing machine? Or know where to find one?

By Vonna B

Where can I get a video instruction manual for the mini handheld sewing machine?

How do I thread and use a Handy Stitch?

By Debra E.

How do I lock a stitch on the Handy Stitch? I'm a dad trying to teach my daughter how to use this frustrating thing. Thanks.

By Big Dummy

I bought a Handy Stitch at a yard sale and need an owners instruction manual. I am also looking for a place to buy accessories for it.

By Darla

How do you secure a stitch at the beginning and at the end with a Handy sewing machine?

By Nithya T.

I do not have a manual for my Handy Stitch machine. I have put new batteries in and cannot get the machine started. Also was I supposed to get parts for machine, like thread and bobbin? I don't think I can use the same size as regular sewing machines.

Please help. Or should I take someone's advice on it and just throw it away? I really don't want to do this as I think this would be great for small projects.
Thank you Mrs. P

By wcp from Margate, FL

Where do the batteries go in the Singer Handy Stitch 300K?

By KRYSTLE from Reno, NV

I have had my Handy Stitch for at least 10 years. Over the years of moving and cleaning I have managed to misplace the bobbin pin. I need to know how I can get a replacement bobbin pin for my Handy Stitch.

By Rhiannon M.

Answer this Question

This little handheld sewing machine, made by Singer, is often purchased by people who want to do a bit of mending. Getting it threaded correctly is the most important step. This is a page about threading a Handy Stitch machine.

Handy Stitch Machine

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3
Crafts SewingApril 23, 2014
🎄
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-a-Handy-Stitch-Sewing-Machine.html