Straight Stitch Not Working on a Sewing Machine

While it is very useful to have a variety of stitches on your sewing machine, the straight stitch is often the most commonly used. When it is not working it is very frustrating. This is a guide about the straight stitch not working on a sewing machine.

A family friend is having a lot of trouble with her JCP #6926, (identical to the #6915) sewing machine. It will not sew a straight stitch. It is set correctly on straight stitch setting (a knob). It starts out straight, then jumps sideways and back, jamming easily. She has the stitch width set on straight stitch. We have watched videos and are lost with this problem. Please help. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

These machines are pretty simple so it may be possible to go to one of the sewing stores in your area (just Google sewing stores/shops with your zip code) as they usually have someone that knows a lot about machines like this. There may even be someone (or they may know someone) at one of the Craft stores (Michael's or Jo Ann's) as they do a lot of classes on just regular sewing.

The machine may need a good cleaning and that means bobbin and all. You should also be sure the needle is new and is the correct one for the machine and the fabric.

I do not know if you have your manual but here is a link to order one but it is not free. There is a lot of useful information on this site.
http://www.sewu  ction_Manual.htm

The first thing to do is to run the machine through a piece of paper. If it is not straight, you have a malfunction that needs to be serviced. If it is straight, see how the stitches look on different fabrics and with different threads. Some people have had good results by setting the needle to the left position.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Yes, I have done all you suggested. We are isolated. The nearest large town, El Paso, TX is over 100 miles, next, Las Cruces, NM is 80.

There is No sewing machine companies in our little town, even WalMart has cut down on their sewing/crafts dept.
I was able to clean her machine reset the tensions. I have never seen a machine that would zig zag, occasionally, on straight stitch setting. It appears, the things I did have it operating in an acceptable mode.

Everything you said was very helpful! Because, even though I had already done all of it, by the time your answer reached me, it was a verification that what I did was the right thing to do. Even the site for the manual! I had texted that same site to her and she was going to order it!
Thank you again! Sincerely appreciate your input.