Denim Toilet Seat and Tank Covers

By Monica 296 58

This is a denim toilet seat and tank cover set I made from some lightweight denim scraps I had, combined with an old doily and some scraps of lace.

Toilet seat cover made from denim.

Approximate Time: One afternoon

Instructions:

li>First, trace your toilet seat lid and tank lid on a piece of newspaper. Add about 1 1/2 inches all around on each pattern for the seam allowance before cutting your pattern out of the newspaper. (The seams won't be 1 1/2 inch, but smaller as you choose.)

1. Take the patterns and lay over the toilet seat and tank to see if they look accurate to you. If you are satisfied with that patterns, lay onto the denim remnants and cut your pieces.
  2. Cut one piece for the front of the lid cover and one for the back. Cut one piece for the tank lid cover and set aside. Pin the doily to the front piece and sew into place. Make sure the doily has been blocked, so it won't pucker when washed.

3. Next, pin your lace between the front and back pieces. If you want to include a ruffle, cut an 8 inch piece for that now and make it three times as long as the diameter of the lid. Sew a basting stitch along one end of the ruffle and pull the thread to get the desired ruffle and pin to the "sandwich" of the front and back pieces and sew in place. If lace is desired on the hemmed edge of the ruffle, it can be added as it is hemmed.

4. Note: Remember to press pieces as you sew with a steam iron. Turn rightside out, and press again if necessary.
    I realized at this point, I had forgotten to allow for extra fabric so the thing would fit over the widest part of the lid! It wouldn't go on, so I cut a slit up the back and hemmed the sides where the cut was and attached a piece of elastic so it would have a snug fit at the bottom most part of the cut. It "fixed" my mistake. This was more of a challenge to myself to see what I could make with the scraps I had. Sometimes, even a mistake can be corrected so as not to spoil the finished project!

5. Next, sew the tank lid cover. Cut a ruffle the same width as the other ruffle and sew a basting stitch all around it. When you are satisfied with the ruffle, attach the lace between the ruffle and the top, sewing into place. Press with a steam iron and you're done!

By Monica from Cortez, CO Tank cover.

Showing: Comments Sort

By Frances Adams 11 554 Flag

How beautiful!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Keeper 58 1,055 Flag

Great recycled craft. I love anything denim. Thanks for sharing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By mini_me 1 1 Flag

Thank You for the pattern. I will be using the pattern, but with different fabric. I'm a beginner at sewing, so still learning new ways on doing things. Thanks again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Previous
Crafts Home Decor BathroomAugust 13, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:21:11 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings