Putting Shoes On The Proper Feet

Smiley Faces On Inside

Preschoolers often have a hard time knowing which shoe goes on which foot. One easy way to help them is to draw a small smiley face on the side of the sole so that the faces smile at each other when the shoes are on the correct feet. Using a pen or permanent marker works well for tennis shoes. You could use a white-out pen for shoes with a black sole.

By glowgirl from Watertown, WI

Mark Dominant Side

My kindergartner was having trouble figuring out which shoe goes on which foot, so I tried the following, and she has had no trouble since. Here's how it works.

Determine which hand is dominant. In my daughter's case, she's a "rightie". So, I took her right shoe, drew a big red star on the inside of her shoe, right on top of the size number, where her heel rests in the shoe (so that, when on, her heel is on top of the star). I made sure the marker I used was permanent, a Sharpie is what I used, but any permanent marker will work.

I then explained to her that the shoe with a star in it goes on her right foot, which is on the same side of her body as the hand she writes with. Like I said, after I did this, she's had no more trouble putting her shoes on the correct feet, and she feels empowered because she can do it herself.

This will work for "lefties", too, except the star should be in the left shoe instead of the right.

By Melissa R.

Mark The Big Toes

Use a magic marker and draw a star or dot on the outside of the shoe by the big toe area. When the child can put his shoes on and the stars touch, then they have their shoes on the right foot.

By Sharon

Teach Them "Left"

Also teach your child that the left pointer finger and thumb form the letter "L". then printer the letter "L" on the inside of the left shoe. this also helps the child learn their letters.

By Joanna

At our house we have chore boots which only come in blue for the girls and brown for the guys. I'm 41 and still put my initial in my boots, inside near the top of the boot, on the inner side. I may know which boot goes on which foot, but seeing that mark makes everything go quicker.

Hi from another Watertown, Wisconsinite!

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler AdviceOctober 18, 2004
Trying on New Shoes
Breaking in New Shoes
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Woman with a blister on the bottom of her feet.
Preventing Blisters on Feet