What Are These Insect Towers?

These insect towers have started to show up on my driveway. When I collapse them depending on the stage of development, I see either white crawling multipeds or flies with long oval wings. I wonder if they're a danger to my plants. I can't find any insects resembling them anywhere. Thanks.

By Emmy from Fresno, CA

My first thought when I looked at your photo was termites. Have you looked at photos of termites at various stages of life?

I did a quick search, and here is the link for the Fresno County Extension Office:

I suggest you give them a call. Someone might be able to give you advice over the phone, or perhaps you can e-mail your photo to them. They should be familiar with the critters in your area. I've called my local extension office a couple times, and they've always been helpful. Why don't you let us know what you find out? Good luck!

My first suggestion was going to be termites, as well. Great idea, mrs.story, to contact the extension office!

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlApril 19, 2011
What is This Insect?
Mosquito Bites
Treating Insect Bites and Stings
Homemade Insect Repellents
Homemade Natural Insect Repellents