BathroomDecorating

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

I painted my bathroom pink and it's a bright pink. I want to do pink and brown. It has a stand up shower so I can't do a shower curtain. I love the idea of using a lid from a butter bowl and doing brown dots, but how far apart do I space them? Please help. I really need to get this bathroom done. And I can't find any ideas. Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions.

By Mimi from St. Louis

I think bathrooms are the one place in the house you can have fun and not be so formal. I'd do brown polka dots! Get a lid to a tub of butter or a salad plate and go wild! Brown dots on a pink wall would be happy and adorable! Everyone would think you are so cool! ( Brown sponge paint on pink walls would be a disaster. Do it on a piece of cardboard first and see.)

Space the dots randomly, so that they will be the most interesting. I would also make them different sizes.

I saw a ceiling and wall with large flower shapes. The shapes were closest together where the ceiling and wall met, and were further and further apart as they progressed across the ceiling and down the wall. These shapes did not cover the entire area, but were extended out about two/three feet from the wall. As I remember, it was about three designs out, but this would depend of the size and shape of the room. Have fun.

Hi, it's me again. The one who told you to use a butter lid to make the dots. I wouldn't stress about how far apart. And do not try to make it into a uniform pattern of dots, you'll drive yourself crazy. Use a piece of chalk to trace the circles first, that way if you don't like where one is placed, you can wipe off the chalk to remove it. (Sometimes it's hard to erase pencil on walls ) Have fun, be playful. If you want, look at a polka dot dress or get a sample of polka dot fabric from a craft/fabric store for ideas. But I really don't think you can mess this up. It's going to be fun.

(One little tip, when you finish with all the dots, you can cut the butter lid in half and use that to trace a half circle in just a few areas where the wall meets the ceiling or where the wall meets a door. That's a nice touch to imply to dot pattern continued.)

I hope you'll post pics when you finish! :)

I have an old time pink tile wall and shower. How would the top wall look if I paint it taupe or chocolate?

By Janet

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The pink and chocolate sounds awesome!

Don't let it contrast too much. Make it the same hue unless you want to jump out there and do black. I know! Black and pink are a fun combination! I would go that or pale it to a super soft pink or jade green. Get a gambit of color chips and tape them to your wall. Discard the ones that clash or turn your stomach. The remaining ones should be looked at for 2-3 days. They'll change color in different light. Eliminate as you go.

Pink and brown go very well together. I bet taupe would go, too. Gray and pink also look good together.

I painted my bathroom pink. Its a small bathroom with no windows, but now it's really bright. I need to tone it down. I want to do pink and brown. Should I do brown sponge paint? I need help.

By Mimi from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

Would it work to just use brown towels and a brown shower curtain with a pink design on it? That would be easier than any type of painting. Or if you have to paint maybe just paint the trim in a brown tone. (11/29/2010)

By redhatterb

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

Just a thought, but if you want to use a sponge painting technique, I would use deeper, darker shades of the pink for a more subtle tone down of the walls.

Apologies in advance as I hate to get yucky here, but I've cleaned up too many poopy messes in my time to consider a pretty pink wall, in a bathroom no less, splatted with brown spots to be attractive in any way. Sorry to go there, but that's the first thing I thought of when you mentioned the brown splatter on the bathroom walls.

I think the brown towels and shower curtain and trim would be lovely with various shades of pink, but I'd think twice about the brown sponge paint! Good luck. (11/29/2010)

By KansasCindy

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

I've done some faux painting and I'm thinking you should go back over it "ragging on" or "ragging off" with off-white or cream glaze. Make sure you get a glaze medium for mixing in the cream paint because just watered down off-white or cream will dry way too fast. Don't ask me how I know. Grrr.
(11/30/2010)

By laughinlashes

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

Have you considered adding brown or cream thin stripes? Or about a 3/4 inch cream stripe with a brown pinstripe in the middle? This could probably be done with painters tape of different widths. (12/01/2010)

By thriftmeg

Painting a Bathroom Pink and Brown

I think bathrooms are the one place in the house you can have fun and not be so formal. I'd do brown polka dots. Get a lid to a tub of butter or a salad plate and go wild! Brown dots on a pink wall would be happy and adorable. Everyone would think you are so cool. (Brown sponge paint on pink walls would be a disaster. Do it on a piece of cardboard first and see.)

(12/03/2010)

By PainterLee