Cheap Tortilla Dessert

One night after dinner my kids wanted something sweet. I did not have much on hand but a package of tortillas and a plain chocolate bar. So I made this cheap dessert...

1 tortilla
2 sections of a chocolate bar

Directions:

Heated the tortilla in a pan.
Add two sections of the chocolate bar.
Fold the tortilla in half.

The chocolate melts and spreads (so you don't need much) and boy was it good! I have also found that you can use chocolate chips (any that you have), marshmallows (with the chocolate makes a tortilla s'more). You can even use your favorite type of candy bar. Cheap and easy and they loved it.

Thanks,
Amy T from Yoakum, TX

P.S. Anyone that has a cheap desert, please post it!

Homemade breads are cheap (banana breads, muffins, coffee cakes, brownies, chocolate chip pancakes/waffles, bundt cakes). Homemade pudding and rice pudding are cheap, as are custard-based pies. Home-made fruit pies can be cheap, too--use fresh or frozen fruit, not canned. Make your own crust!

In the winter, hot chocolate or hot cider (use apple juice and add some cinnamon) can be special and relatively cheap. In the summer, try milk shakes and smoothies and chocolate milk. (You may have to re-train them that these are desserts, rather than drinks.)

Make a fruit salad using whatever's in season (cheap) plus, if you like, sour cream, whipped cream, yogurt or mayonnaise, and maybe some mini marshmallows. (Mayonnaise sounds disgusting, but I swear it isn't.) Or let the kids put the fruit on skewers for fruit shishkabobs.

Banana boats use many of the ingredients you talked about--pull down one strip of the banana peel, cut out (and eat) a small wedge of banana, insert chocolate chips and marshmallows, and heat until the latter have melted.

Buy a half gallon of ice cream and pour home-made fudge sauce or some kind of pancake syrup on top--you get a lot of servings of this for your money. Colored sprinkles could go pretty far, too. If you chop up peanuts, you don't need many to make it look special. But be careful--they get rancid if you don't use them up fairly quickly.

Another great, cheap dessert using tortillas and leftover fruit pie filling: Place some pie filling on a tortilla and roll it up. Deep fry it (I use a wok for this, since it's not too deep) until golden (1-3 minutes). You may sprinkle with powdered sugar if you wish - either way, they are delicious!

Terry from ChilliOH

I cook a lot at home always looking for tricks, here is one my favorite--

1 tort--I use the Fagita torts. I have small deep fryer, so I drop tort and use round potato smasher to hold. This cause the tort to form a bowl.

Then I take out, and let cool off. Then I have a big ziplock bag with cinn-sugar in it and shake. Then I sit the bowl out on small plate or bowl and put in a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and cover with caramel topping.

Wow! It is so the bomb! Easy and cheap!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts DessertsApril 29, 2005
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Tortilla Roll-Ups
Tortilla Roll-Up Recipes
A bowl of tortilla chips
Homemade Tortilla Chips
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 6:16:24 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.