Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What Is Bisquick?

I see in a lot of recipes they use Bisquick. What is it?

By Snazzy from Pretoria, South Africa

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Laura Justice [2]04/17/2009

And a very handy staple to have in your pantry. The home made mixes are as good, but probably not as shelf stable because of no preservatives. I would store mine in the refrigerator I think.
biscuits, scones, coffee cakes , quick nut breads, "cobblers" ( quick fruit baked dessert) , fast pies and quiches using a blender , dumplings for stew, drop cookies. Haven't made anything rolled out in 50 years...nor sure if I could.
Just about any baked good that uses flour, non liquid fat, baking powder as a base-- you then add the other requirements of the receipe. For savings I used dry milk for years in lieu of fluid-- other dried ingredients ( eggs for instance) can also be used.

By Tom D.04/14/2009

Snazzy,
Take a look at this link & a picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/product ... .htm?WT.mc_id=vanityurl_web_bisquick

I am not sure that pancakes & biscuts mean exactly the same thing down your way. By the way, Betty Crocker is a ficticious entity created by some advertising agency many years ago. A great product, use it a lot myself!
Tom

By Michawn [16]04/14/2009

A multi purpose baking product, you can make your own with recipes off the internet really easy.

By Jodi [4]04/14/2009

A biscuit mix for making biscuits or pancakes. In US is on the baking aisle in grocery stores

By April [170]04/14/2009

Bisquick is a trade name of a product that is the dry ingredents for basic baking. If you mix certain wet ingredents (eggs, milk, butter) you get bisquits, other wet ingredents will result in pancakes or waffles.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What Is Bisquick?

I love your site, but get a bit confused with the names of some USA products. Could you please tell me what Bisquick is? It's in so many recipes and I guess it must be flour, but don't really know. Thank you.

Leah from Queensland, Australia

RE: What Is Bisquick?

As an American living in Oz, I can tell you that it is a mix of flour, baking powder, and a ton of other unsavory additives etc., that people use to make pancakes, or biscuits, muffins, or any other baked goods. It is similar to the pikelet mix you get at Woolies. I've been here 11 years and just avoid any recipe that uses it because you can use real ingredients just as quickly and cheaply. (09/05/2008)

By Cindy from Queensland Australia

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Biscuit Mix (All Purpose Baking Mix)

• 4 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
  • 5 Teaspoons Baking powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 5 Tablespoons Solid shortening
  • 3 Tablespoons Unsalted butter -- cut up
  • In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients. With electric mixer on low or #2 of a 3 speed mixer, cut in fats until uniform in texture and fat particles are no longer visible. Remove from mixer. Yields scant 6 cups. Keep in air tight container refrigerated for up to one month. Recipe is easily doubled, tripled, etc. (09/05/2008)

By scott E.

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Bisquick has been around USA since I was a kid and that is for years. It's ingredients are enriched wheat flour, partially hydrogenated soy and /or cotton seed oil, baking soda and other leavening, and salt (off box). People use it in many recipes which are on the box and on the web. I have only used for making quick biscuits to go with stew and on camping trips because it can mix up pancakes quickly. Essentially it is a pancake, waffle, biscuit mix that already has the shortening, salt and leavening in it. Use the other persons recipe for it or your own biscuit recipe (minus liquid) if you want to try a recipe found online or on thriftyfun:) I would keep it in the refrigerator if it had butter in it though. (09/05/2008)

By Har'iet

RE: What Is Bisquick?

If you don't like the idea of shortening, try this:

Substitution: 1 cup mix = 1 c flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp oil or melted butter. (09/05/2008)

By Deeli

RE: What Is Bisquick?

I have used Bisquick and generic versions of it for all my married life (40 yrs), you use it like flour and don't have to add baking soda. I use it to make Dumplings, Biscuits or to thicken gravy. I learned of it from my Mother in law.

By Ariela

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Bisquick is basically a dry mix for making biscuits, waffles, pancakes etc. It's the dry ingredients (flour, leavening, salt) and fat (shortening oil or butter) so that to make biscuits you simply add milk to the mix, instead of making the coarse crumbs where you cut the butter into the flour. It is a bit of a convenience food in that it saves a step or two. It comes in handy when you are in a hurry. You can definitely make your own and keep it in a container in the fridge if there is a recipe that you really want to try. (09/05/2008)

By HeavenlyMayday

RE: What Is Bisquick?

I make my own using whole grain flour and canola oil--it is still a convenience, but doesn't have all the additives of the prepackaged mixes. It basically is a time-saver (takes a few steps out the recipe since it has been done in advance). Bisquick is a trade name of a specific product; there are other mixes on the market just like it. You can also find several cookbooks and recipes on the web calling for it. (09/06/2008)

By susanmajp

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Baking Mix:

• 8 cups flour
  • 2/3 cup dry milk
  • 1/3 cup baking powder
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup shortening
  • Mix flour and other dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Use a mixer on low to cut in the shortening to save time. Store in an airtight container up to 6 months. This recipe uses a 5-pound sack of flour when doubled. (09/06/2008)

By kladybug

RE: What Is Bisquick?

You can grind the flour, add the baking powder, salt, oil or butter and store it in the refrigerator. As long as we're cooking, why not cook nutritious food. It's also good to know what mixes are made up of so that you can easily make substitutions according to your needs: Dairy Restrictions, wheat restrictions. (09/06/2008)

By jvasan

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Go to www.bisquick.com. The first screen shows their New liquid formula for pourable pancakes. The usual Bisquick is in a box & is enriched flour with additional ingredients to be used for pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, and so on. There's a lot of recipes on the website & on the box. (09/08/2008)

By Evsav

RE: What Is Bisquick?

Thank you for so many answers - what a divided post! Nothing wishy-washy, you love it or hate it. Sounds quite useful really, but not totally necessary. I tend not to buy packets of things much, prefer to make my own, but can see many uses for it. Very best wishes to you all, and thank you so much for answering my query. (09/09/2008)

By Leah from Australia