Grow Your Own Avocado Houseplant

Here's a fun summer activity for the kids to enjoy and a rewarding way to recycle the left-over avocado seeds.

1. Wash the seed and suspend it (broad end down) over a water-filled glass using 3 toothpicks. The water should cover about an inch of the seed.
  2. Ad

3. Place the glass in a warm location, out of direct sunlight. A mature seed will crack as roots and stem sprout in about 2 to 6 weeks.

4. When a stem grows to six or seven inches, cut it back to about three inches.

5. When the roots are thick and the stem has leafed out again, plant it in a rich humus soil, leaving the seed half exposed. Use a terra cotta pot with a 10-1/2 diameter.

6. Water the avocado plant generously, but let it dry out somewhat between watering.

By Connie from Oden, AR

i like your simple list for care and germination. Other sites are more descriptive but lengthy. I plan to keep an indoor avocado for decor purposes, its my first try. I hope that they can be kept pruned very short. Winters are just cold enough in my location to kill or stunt.

Can you actually grow the avocado fruit? I love to eat them but they are so expensive! Thanks, Debi

I heard it takes about 20 or so years for an avacado plant to produce fruit! At least you'll have a nice houseplant until then. I just started one. A nice big seed. Can't wait until it sprouts roots and stems!

I have tried many times to grow a avocado plant and one day I just put the seed in a pot that another plant died in and before I new it there was a plant. I know it wasn't the other plant because I pulled all the roots out. I never have trimmed it I just water it once a week or so now it is about two feet tall and has leaves on the top. What would happen to it if I cut it back to about 5inches? Will it die? I am afraid that it it gets any bigger the stem won't hold, but so far it is doing just fine.

This is great for the large avacados and my mother and I both have grown several from seed, but can anyone tell me how to start the small Mexican avacados from seed? I cannot get the toothpicks, or anything else, stuck into them.

I have an avocado plant that is 48inches tall and branches are 37inches across. I have had to replant it 3 times into bigger pots. I really don't know what I did to get such a spectacular plant. I have grown them in the past and never got past 12 inches high. I did not trim it either. I have pictures. It is really quite a sight. Kathy C.

I'm perplexed. a houseplant? These things can grow 35 feet tall! at least they do in the Southwest. I've seen some old avocado trees that are just huge. unfortunately, they don't grow well in the north, too cold for them. I scarf them down all spring and part of summer, and have decided the price is worth it as they can rebalance me when I'm physically out of sorts. Just can't imagine them as a houseplant...unless you remove the roof and give them their own room, lol!

Plump Avocado Seed Rooting into Jar
Growing an Avocado from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening IndoorMarch 28, 2007
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
A woman watering a houseplant.
Identifying a Houseplant
🎉
🎄