Can You Eat Cherries from a Weeping Cherry Tree?

Category Fruit Trees
Weeping Cherry Tree
Where the fruit on an ornamental cherry tree is good to eat may depend on the variety. In any case it will probably not be as tasty as that on a cherry tree grown for its fruit. This is a guide about eating cherries from a weeping cherry tree.

Can you eat weeping cherry tree fruit?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By classic truck 72 from Nashville, TN

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

After doing a quick search on the web I learned that there are many different types of weeping cherry trees. Some have edible fruit, some have edible fruit that people say is worthless, some have fruit that is not edible, and some sites said some weeping cherry trees are poisonous. Do you know what type of weeping cherry it is?

I've got a weeping cherry tree. It's beautiful and doing well, but for the first time since we've lived here, (7 years), it's now got fruit on it! I assume cherries are normal on a weeping cherry tree. Did I never notice them before, or does it generally take years to become fruit bearing? And can I eat them? Thanks.

Debbi

Answers:

They taste like Black Heart cherries with a little aftertaste, but since the seed is so big, I think they'd be better to make a syrup out of than to sit and eat. They turn your mouth purple-black. May be great for Halloween night. (06/18/2008)

By Jeannie D.