Avocado Trees Losing Leaves

Category Fruit Trees
There are a number of reasons your avocado tree may lose its leaves, from pests to lack of nutrients. This is a guide about avocado trees losing leaves.

I currently have 5 avocado trees no taller than 1 foot. It seems, no matter how hard I try I can't keep them alive past 1 year. The leaves have fallen off all 5 plants. I only water them every 10-14 days. As we speak the soil is comfortably moist. It's so aggravating because I literally can grow anything. Perhaps I'm paying them too much attention?

By Lorelei N.

Answers

Best Answer

I can't really tell much from the pictures, but I have a few suggestions. I've had a lot of luck growing avocados indoors in Canada and I'm pretty familiar with some of the problems that you can run into with these plants (e.g., root damage, sciarid flies). Although I can't quite tell what the problem is from the pictures, I have a few suggestions that might help.

First, you should no plant multiple avocado plants together in the same pot. Avocado tree roots like to spread out and do not deal well with crowding. If planted together in the same pot, the plants can strangle one another (untangling them when this happens is horrible, trust me). Planting them together in the same pot can also mean that any diseases are easily transferred between the plants. The pot can also become root bound extremely quickly with multiple plants, meaning that the plants will stop getting adequate water and nutrients in a matter of months. For example, if you put two avocado trees in a pot that is the ideal size for one plant, the pot become root bound in half the time (i.e., 6 months instead of 12); the smaller the pot (or the less soil in the pot) the bigger a problem this becomes. It is best to put each seedling in its own pot that is fill 9/10 with fertilizer.

Second, you need to put the plants in a window that gets a lot of direct sunlight. If the plants don't get enough sunlight, they won't be able to produce enough nutrients to support their leaves (extra fertilizer will not fix this, either). A lack of sunlight can cause the leaves to yellow, then brown and fall off. If you live in a basement or anywhere that doesn't get at least 6 hours of sunlight in the spring and summer, the avocado trees won't last long.

Third, if your plants are on the ground floor directly adjacent to the window, you will eventually end up with sciarid flies. These flies look like fruit flies, but they have black, vein-less wings and kind of aimlessly flutter around the pots. If you can't catch one to examine to check if it is a sciarid fly, breathe on them. Sciarid flies are attracted to carbon dioxide and will fly all around your face when you exhale. The adult flies will munch on any dead leaves that are in the pot and will lay eggs in moist soil.

The larvae are what you really need to worry about: after hatching, sciarid larvae eat the roots of the plant. These larvae can be devastating for seedlings. The easiest way to protect against them is to put up sticky fly traps and apple cider vinegar traps to kill the adults, and put a 1-2 inch layer of pebbles in the last 1/10 of your pot. If the adults can't reach the soil, then they can't lay their eggs, and then the larvae can't destroy your plants' roots.

Fourth, avocado trees require a more nitrogen rich fertilizer than most plants. The nitrogen helps support growth. Most fertilizer bags will have three numbers on the front to indicate the percentage of nitrogen, phosphate, and potash. Well-balanced potting soil for indoor plants (considered safe to use on a variety of houseplants) typically has about .2% nitrogen, which is extremely low for an avocado tree. Avocado trees will require something closer to 6% nitrogen to really thrive. Adding fertilizer to your potting soil every month or so can help give your plants the nitrogen they need.

Fifth, avocado trees like fast draining soil; they like it when the soil is moist, but they don't want to be in a puddle. There are a lot of people who suggest putting gravel at the bottom of pots, but DO NOT DO THIS. Avocado tree roots grow down as well as out, and they will seek out areas in the pot that have the most moisture (i.e., the bottom of the pot). In addition to limiting the amount of space the roots have to grow, if you put gravel at the bottom, the roots will very likely wrap themselves around the rocks, making it more likely that you will damage the plant when re-potting. Having drainage holes at the bottom of the pot is fine for draining excess water.

Finally, sometimes you just get a bad seed. Last year I sprouted five avocado trees. One of the sprouts, no matter what I did, would grow a few leaves and then lose them a couple weeks later. It ended up dying after about a year. The other four trees, however, that were grown in identical conditions, are all fine (one of them is more than 4 feet tall). For whatever reason, every now and then you'll get a seed that just doesn't take.

I hope this helps!

Cari

I have an avocado tree that I bought when it was about a foot tall. It is now about three feet tall. It is dropping fresh green leaves. I can send pictures, if you want. I bought it in March and it had been doing very well. The lady at Terra greenhouses said not to expect fruit this year, so I'm not, but I am very concerned about it dropping it's fresh green leaves.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

Hello !
I see you get snow in the winter, that means real winter. It also means that the lady at Terra Greenhouses is a big liar if she told you that your avocado has a good chance to have fruits one day. I think that your avocado is just having a big shock due to the change of season, less daylight, heating on in your house which means higher temperature and dry air. It is a situation the plant can't adapt to as an avocado is a tree made to live outdoors where shorter daylight goes together with colder temperature. My advice would be to keep it away from heaters, lightly spray it with water at room temperature once a week and no fertilizer, it is winter it is not the time for a tree to grow and any season of the year water it only if when you press hard the tips of your fingers on the soil no bits of soil stay stuck to your skin and that's all. Sometimes whether the leaves which are falling are at the top of the plant or close to the foot tells you if the plant is overwatered or not. When it lacks water it is the leaves at the top that fall first and when it is overwatered it is the leaves close to the foot that fall first but this trick doesn't work always. Give the tree a rest and you will see when spring comes how it is doing. In case your avocado isn't doing well do not buy a new one just grow a new one from a seed you will have the same result without spending any money. Hope this helps.

I have grown my avocado tree from a seed and never pruned it. As new leaves sprout the existing leaves fall off. I still keep the tree indoors. What could I do to prevent the the leaves falling off. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Brown or dropping leaves can be caused by a number of things so you may have to try several suggestions to find a true solution.

• Have you repotted your plant recently? Sometimes the shock of repotting will cause this to happen. If that is the reason, it will take a little while to recover.
  • What type of soil do you have in your pot? Avocado trees need a loose soil so regular soil is not recommended as it will be too heavy/thick. You may have to repot in a lighter soil.
  • If you are using regular tap water you may have a salt buildup that will need to be removed. Take your plant outside (if possible) and run water through the plant for several minutes and maybe even a second time to remove any remaining salt.
  • If you are using a water softener then you may have to do the same thing but with unfiltered outside water.
  • For future watering, try to use distilled water or boiled and cooled water.
  • Use one-half recommended fertilizer but on a regular basis.
  • Prune your plant (check YouTube videos).
  • If you feel your tree has been over-watered, you may have to remove it from the pot and clean roots (gently) and replace in new soil.
  • For Light requirements you may have to move your plant to different areas of your house at different times of the year.
  • This is also true for temperature and humidity requirements.

Here is a link to a site that has a lot of information about growing avocado trees indoors. Check all the links on each side for more information.

http://homeguid  lting-86308.html

My 15 year old avocado tree is losing its leaves too early. It is July in Southern California. It has lots of avocados on it, that are about half way there and the leaves are dropping like it is post season. They are brown and yellow and hundreds are falling. It is about 25 ft. tall. Why is this happening? What can I do? Am I going to lose this tree?

Answers

Maybe its too hot and it is not getting enough water.

I have some family in your neck of the woods and they all have different suggestions from mite infestation to water chloride issues from the various fires.

They suggested calling your local ag extension and getting an expert opinion. This link is what they gave me:

ipm.ucanr.edu/.../ceofficefinder.html

Good luck! Hope you get an easy to deal with answer and the trees recover!

could it be a weird virus or other disease? Root rot fungi, persea mite, and excess salt accumulations are all things that affect these trees. ucce.ucdavis.edu/.../530-27.pdf

My potted avocado trees lost all of their leaves, now the new leaves are coming out and dying; the branches turn black. I tried cutting off the black part, but it keeps coming. Parts of the plants look healthy with new leaves, one flowered this spring.

Answers

Make sure you are not overwatering.

Normally this is caused by root knots or ants. You might need to take your trees out of their pots and check the roots. When I replant my plants I make sure I shake all the dirt off the roots and check their health. Giving your trees, fresh dirt and a good shaking should help.

You can also mix some dishwashing soap with water and spray the branches of your trees. Black on the branches is a virus. You will need to spray the trees every three days for 2 weeks. Afterwards, take your garden hose and wash the branches to get off the remaining black virus on the branches.

I have three avocado trees. On all three of the trees the leaves and small avocados are all falling off. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

Answers

Sometimes this is nature's way of getting rid of defective fruit. Make sure you are not overwatering or underwatering. Here is an article to help you: http://www.cali  ocado-fruit-drop

I believe that sometimes this will happen naturally but if it seems to be extreme than you may need to read up on why trees may do this. I believe California has the largest number of growers so probably most of the information will come from their sites. I have a couple listed but you can do more research if you still need more.

http://mgorange  r.edu/?story=898

http://mgorange  id=31&ds=530

You can also call or email your county extension office and ask them about this problem.

https://www.gar  sion-service.htm

My tree is 15 feet high. I planted him from a seed. He had for the first time after 6 years 40 avocados, 2nd time 70, 3d time 90. This year I don't know yet, but he loses a lot of brown leafs. Did I water him too much? Please let me know what I have to do. Thanks.

By Ruth S.

Answers

My tree was grown from a seed (in San Diego County) 40+ years ago. It used to have hundreds of avocados, but drought and too many trees in the vicinity kept production low. Several surrounding trees were removed--roots and all--and we had more rain last year, so this year we had hundreds of avocados for the first time in years. Also, it drops all old leaves in the Spring while it blooms and adds beautiful new leaves. I use avocado and citrus food at least once each year.

My tree is about three years old and is flowering right now, but is losing leaves from the top down. I have not watered much during the wet months. Is this normal?

By Conor from Los Angeles, CA