Leaves Dying and Branches Turning Black on Potted Avocado Trees

My potted avocado trees lost all of their leaves, now the new leaves are coming out and dying; the branches turn black. I tried cutting off the black part, but it keeps coming. Parts of the plants look healthy with new leaves, one flowered this spring.

Make sure you are not overwatering.

Normally this is caused by root knots or ants. You might need to take your trees out of their pots and check the roots. When I replant my plants I make sure I shake all the dirt off the roots and check their health. Giving your trees, fresh dirt and a good shaking should help.

You can also mix some dishwashing soap with water and spray the branches of your trees. Black on the branches is a virus. You will need to spray the trees every three days for 2 weeks. Afterwards, take your garden hose and wash the branches to get off the remaining black virus on the branches.