Crepe Myrtle Leaves Turning Brown

Category Tree Health
If the leaves on your crepe myrtles are turning brown you will need to do some sleuthing to determine the cause. A cold snap may be the culprit. Too little water in the summer is another cause. For potted trees, check soil moisture. Many nursery plants are root bound. Consider replanting. Quick attention when you crepe myrtle leaves start to turn brown generally can save your tree or shrub.

I planted a crepe myrtle about 2 years ago. It is in full sun and has been doing well. Lately I have noticed the leaves are turning brown from the tips inward. I have looked for insects, but found none. What else could be causing this?

Jim from St. George, Utah

Answers

Best Answer

Sometimes this happens simply because of change of season and I wouldn't worry if it's just a few of the leaves but my first thought is to check the soil for moisture. The soil may simply need a little extra water and possibly a tad bit of fertilizer.

Best Answer

Our crepe myrtles were planted about 10 years ago. 8 huge plants were healthy until last year. One plant's leaves started turning yellow/brown, a trunk at a time, until the whole plant turned yellow/brown. I assumed the plant was dead and chopped it down.

The other 7 plants looked great.

Until this year, now another plant is turning yellow/brown. So far, it's just affecting 2 of the 12 little trunks coming up from the ground. The other plants, and all the other trunks on this plant, look healthy. We have never watered these plants. What is the problem?

Best Answer

You say you never water them ? Im guessing they need water.

I bought 4 crepe myrtle trees, about 7 ft tall. It looks like they are in shock and all of the leaves & flowers died. I only missed one day of watering, and am continuing to water daily.

They are still in pots. I live in Western Gardening zone 9. Please advise.
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

They may be ready for a larger pot, or planting in the ground.

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthOctober 3, 2019
🎃